How should I night potty train my 3 year old, she has been day trained for 8 months now, but still wakes up with a soaking pull-up!

livandemsmamma

Asked by livandemsmamma at 9:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When is the last time she gets anything to drink before bed? We don't give anything after supper to drink...unless it's a couple of sips...and he has to go potty right before bed. Our 4 year old trained at 3 and was actually night trained before he day trained.

I know some moms get the kids up before they (the parents) go to bed to go potty. Then again, some kids are just that sound of sleepers.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Have her wear a diaper to bed not a pull up the pull up is to teach her how to pull off and put on her underclothes. The pull up only holds alittle accident not like a regular diaper.
    And be patient on her potting it could take up to 4 years of age don't rush her. She might be having more accidents than good result. Children can sense the parents feelings.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:10 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• staying dry at night isn't really something you can "train" a child for. It has to do with hormones and etc.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My DD will be 4 in feb...she still wears an overnight at night time and it is wet every morning. She sleeps like a LOG all night long, I don't know if she'd even wake if she had to pee.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Anything under 8 years old is considered normal.
    What can you do:
    Limit fluids within 2 hours of bedtime.
    Wake her before you go to sleep.
    OR
    Wake her 2 hours before her normal wakeup time. Is she wet?
    NO - Wake her 1.75 hours before her normal wakeup time the next night.
    YES - Wake her 2.25 hours before her normal wake up time the next night.
    You are trying to find what time of night she wets. Once you've found it, you will wake her up a half hour before that every night until she learns to wake herself up.
    OR
    Be patient and see if the problem resloves itself in the coming couple of years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I limit drinks in the evening - since my kids go to bed early, the last drink is usually at dinner time. I have them use the potty right before bed and I get my daughter up to use the bathroom before I go to bed. Usually she is still sleeping when I carry her to the bathroom and put her on the potty. She rarely remembers getting up and is dry in the morning. Her twin brother has been dry all night since the day he was potty trained...
    HalloweenTwins

Answer by HalloweenTwins at 8:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• First off limiting drinks before bed is a good idea.This is hard. My son was potty trained at 2 1/2 but still wet the bed until his third birthday. Even after limiting his night time drinks. One night I ran out of pull ups, and he had to wear underwear to bed.... From then on I have never had a problem... It is like it just clicked... Oh I still use a mattress protector "just in case".
    heather_84

Answer by heather_84 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• wow..i just started noticing how my dd would get up in the middle of the night and less and less was her pull ups wet...i guess she was an easy one
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:49 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to start trying limiting the liquids after dinner and the waking her up to go potty before I go to bed and see if that helps...AFTER our Christmas vacation to Missouri! Thank you so much!...Heidi
    livandemsmamma

Answer by livandemsmamma at 6:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2008