Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support

if you get child support after a divorce is there any way of canceling it after a few years or is the guy stuck for life till theyre 18?

Answer Question

Asked by windowgirl at 9:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • stuck unless you get remarried


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • Even if you get remarried the father still has to support that child, after all, he brought that child into this world. I think that he owes the child that much. If they don't want to pay money, then they need to go and buy clothes, shoes, personal items, and things of this nature, they can keep reciepts to show how they supported their child. Yes, they should and have to support that child, unless they let the step father adopt the child.

    Answer by Freda01 at 9:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • You can petition the Friend of the Court for an adjustment but I think you can only do that every 2 years. That is what my husband and his ex-wife did, but they were in an agreement on the amount.

    Answer by countrygirl3708 at 9:10 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • I meant unless you remarried him again


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • He is required to pay child support until the child is 18 or for some until 21 if the child is in school.
    Even if they buy clothes & shoes & keep receipts it's considered a gift. The safest thing for them is to go thru the court and pay thru the court so you have the records to protect yourself.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • He continues to pay until they are 18 years of age and if he is behind on cs he continues to pay until he is done with it. Even if the child is over 18 up to where they are living their own lives.
    So don't get behind!!!

    Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • It is the childs right for child support. It is not up to you nor the father unless he signs his rights to that child away.

    Answer by Dannee at 10:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • Um first poster...getting remarried does NOT get a man out of his child support. It is not the new husbands job to support a child that is not his...I dont know where you are getting your information from. The only way he can get out of it is if the mother agrees to sign off on it for him. It has to be done through the court and you cannot be on welfare if you do this...or they will go after him for support the minute you apply

    Answer by salexander at 9:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.