Cups for 3 year olds

What a the best cups to give 3 year olds? Right now he uses sippy cups when we are not at home, or restaurants... But we want to get rid of the sippys. He is currently using the Playtex twist and click ((love)) but it's time to move on. He does use regular cups when at home, but what about in the car, or when shopping?

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 5:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The next step up would be those no-spill cups with straws, or a sports bottle that's easy for them to close and open.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 5:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• After sippy cups I found sports bottles filled with water were pretty good for in the car.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I give my kids sports bottles in the car that way they don't end up all wet, mine are 5 and 3 1/2.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Sports bottles. My kids (11 & 13) use them all the time.That's the only way than have a drink in a room beside the kitchen. (and only water goes in them)
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• My youngest was off sippy cups at home around 2 and in the car by 2 1/2. She just started drinking out of regular water bottles (with the twist cap... which meant an adult had to untwist it for her). We never allowed them to bring drinks into stores. They stayed in the car and when we were out to eat she got a cup with a straw like all the other kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• The ones with a straw that flips up work good in the car.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Sport bottles or bottled drinks.
    ArmywifeNatasha

Answer by ArmywifeNatasha at 11:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• My son has a Kleen Kanteen with a sport's cap (since 2...he's 3.5 now) for going out, car, etc. Most of my friends switch to a sport bottle top if they were avoiding sippies after age 2...so that works really well...and it teaches them the co-ordination and skill involved.

At home we have small thick juice glasses. I have tried to minimize plastics in general, but I found that around age 2, my son was MORE likely to throw his plate, cup, etc.. it they were light and plastic. If it's "real" and has weight to it, he has no temptation to throw it.

Just my thoughts...but I HIGHLY recommend a sport bottle. Just never put anything but water in it at first...and he'll learn to not spill it out.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

• my niece, 3 years next week, is drinking from regular cups, like a dora cup.
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 9:13 AM on Jul. 18, 2011

• I give mine sippy cups in the car because my OCD will not allow me to have liquid spilling everywhere. As for restaurants and home, they use a cup and straw. It's whatever works best for you.
    trendy2

Answer by trendy2 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2011