Need help with potty issues with my 6 year old.

The issues I am having is he is constantly peeing and pooing himself. We did get off to a late start potty training as he was 4 when we started. His kindergarden teacher thought maybe he didn't feel when he needed to go but we have figured out that is not the case. When ever he does we make him clean himself and he seems to not care that he has to. He doesn't even care that he did pee or soil himself. He will sit it in it all day if we let him. We are really getting fed up with having to clean his soiled underware. We have tried everything and nothing seems to help matters. We tried stickers, we tried rewards. We even tried swatting him on the butt and sitting him in time out. None of which has helped.

vettegirl_82

Asked by vettegirl_82 at 9:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That's hard. Does your son give off signs that he's about to or needs to go, when we were potty training my son he would be real quiet or go to a corner of a room and play quietly and we knew that he was up to something, so I immediately led him to the bathroom. When this happens to your son when he's at school do the kids pick on him? Does he get extra loving attention from his teacher when he does this? That could be a problem too. What you could also try is telling him when to go, wake up in the morning before him and tell him to go use the bathroom and wait till he's done it in the toilet, after a couple of hours and his normal drinks etc tell him to go again and so fourth-this way you are assuming when he needs to go and no mess, he SHOULD eventually catch on that its no longer ok. It will take time and patience. GL to you.

Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 9:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Wow I'm sorry for you, this is every moms worst fear! Have you spoken with his Dr yet? Maybe there is a medical cause?
    thats_karma

Answer by thats_karma at 3:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• my son was 5 1/2 when he was potty train he wasnt talking his teacher at his school got a timer adn times it on every 30 mintunes and now he 6 and potty train but he still poops in his pants if u like write me on here
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• It sounds bad but i had the same problem with my son and the pooing. My son acted like he was just lazy and didnt want to walk to the bathroom. It took making him where a diaper in front of a friend of ours. It wasnt planned to embarass him, we put him in the diaper and then the friend showed up. It was an accidental embarassing lol, but it worked
    davidsmom01

Answer by davidsmom01 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• At this point I would contact my doctors office and perhaps a child psychologist...don't get your panties in a bunch I am not saying your son is mental...but there just could be some simple reason he is doing this and even he may not know why...worth checking into.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My 7 1/2 SS did this up until he was 6. He even tried to crap in the front yard! Our therapist told us it was a regression thing. I moved in with his dad after we were engaged, when he was 5 1/2. Around the same time, he started kindergarten and his mother had a baby. He had a lot going on in his life and it was his response to stress. He eventually got over it, but once in a while he will still pee himself - like when he's playing with his friends and he says he "doesn't notice". Right. Is there a lot going on in his life? Like, did you move or have a baby or ????
    Anonymous

• I am new to this whole CAFEMOM thing so I didn't realize that I had so many responses. I am seeking a pediatrition because that is what his doc recommened. It is hard. Especially since he is used to going in his pants. There was a move but he was doing this before the move. He does sorta give us signs but most of the time he does not. When we cue him to go he doesn't like to or wan to. We sit him on the potty and he will scream until we let him down. Very rarely does he go back and go potty without us saying anything. We greatly praize him when he does. I am not sure how the teachers treat him when he does soil or pee himelf. I am also not sure how the other kids treat him when he does either. I do know that he has a special room he goes to if he acts up or what not but it is difficult for his teacher to be cleaning him up when he has 16 other kids to deal with. He does get rewards for not when he is at school.
    vettegirl_82

Answer by vettegirl_82 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 25, 2008