Why am i contracting all the time but not dilating? would inducing help the contractions im having make me dilate?

almostthere0111

Asked by almostthere0111 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Contractions are normal for weeks before the baby is born. Inducing doesn't always help you to dialate. I was induced for three whole days with my oldest son....never did dialate. I ended up having a c-section.

Early contractions are just your body's way of getting the baby moved down and in position.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Woops dilate!
    ohwrite

• Nope. Better to wait and let your body do its job.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Those are called Braxton Hicks and while they are not making you dilate they are helping your body get ready for labor in other ways. Getting pitocin would just force things to go quicker and may cause more problems then it solves. Don't be too quick about getting interventions before researching their possible side effects.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• How far along are you? I don't think inducing with pitocin will help you dilate. Sex can help, I believe it's something in the semen that helps soften the cervix. Cervadil MIGHT help, but I wouldn't bother. If you and baby are healthy, I'd wait until I went into labor on my own. You might be having Braxton Hicks contractions, again, how far along are you, and are the contractions regular AT ALL?? Any pattern? Or just here and there?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• lay down mre often left side lying with a pillow between your knees and PLENTY of water on board..... walking helps contractions.... laying helps dilation (so does sex and squatting about 40 minutes of each a day)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I had the same problem, i was in early labor for 3 weeks before, i finally went in to L&D made a fuss and they admitted me lol lol (and yes before anyone comments even multiple doctors confirmed i WAS having contractions not BH) sadly for me the only thing that worked for both of my children was having my waters broken and pitocin =(
    Sarahg83619

Answer by Sarahg83619 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

• I agree with ohwrite! The baby is getting into position.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2011