Anyone else have to deal with an ex husband because of joint custody?

URGH!! Mine just drives me nuts!! I guess he just likes to reinforce the reasons why I couldn't be married to him anymore.

We have a 13 yr old son and 12 yr old daughter together. Both live with me. I have gotten into this mode of "clean sweeping" our house. We've been getting rid of things we no longer need and doing the "less is more" thing all over the house. I convinced my daughter that it's high time she got rid of her barbies (or a good portion of them anyway) because she rarely plays with them anymore. I keep telling her that she'll probably be ready to dump them all in 6 months anyway.

jenettyshome

Asked by jenettyshome at 9:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Relationships

• cont...
    So what does my ex buy her for her birthday??? A huge friggin Barbie house!! I'm like WTF!!! How old does he think she is?? Eight?? Come on! We don't need this big thing in our damn house. And I can't tell her to give it back because she would hate me. But now we have to step around this huge thing in her room. Can he be any dumber???!!!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• cont...
    And the funniest thing is, we put it together the other day and by the time we were done, I could tell by her face that she was already "bored" with it. I mean she's played with it here and there with her younger sister and whatever, but she's more into the video games with her brother and watching movies. The Barbies on their way out.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:25 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Wow, if that's the worse that he does you have alot to be grateful for. There's some dads that won't even acknowledge their kiddos.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yes, you're right to some degree. But honestly, he only acknowledges his kids because his family makes him. And the time he puts into them is pretty rediculous. If they get 4 hrs a week with him it's a miracle. And when he's with them he's sleeping or reading or doing a whole bunch of other things BESIDES being with them. I can't even count how many times he has an excuse as to why he CAN'T come get them. And do you think he tries a little harder when there's a school break? Nope. Same sh**, nothing ever changes. And he does stuff like buy her that damn doll house just to piss me off. It's certainly not to be nice to them. If that were the case, he would've bought her something more age appropriate.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:55 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• how old is her younger sister give it to her. my ex husband gavem my thirteen almost fourteen year old match box cars a whole bunch of them and a little carrying case and a little tiny track to put together. and when my daughter was like thirteen or fouteen he gave her a sand bucket with a shovel and sifter and whatever else comes in a sand bucket and a barbie. i guess he couldn't afford the reall malibu barbie so he bought her a cheap barbie and a sand bucket lol. we took everything back and got them what they could actually use. he is doing it to show he is still in control
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• you picked him

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Count your blessings because there are women/men who go through worse with the other parent...if your dd isn't interested in the big doll house anymore, take it down...simple solution...if dad isn't visiting the kids much, make that time the best time for them so when they look back, they'll know that Mom did what she needed to do to fill that void...simple solutions....
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 11:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Anon 10:06 - gee thanks for that stupid reminder. Sometimes life throws us curveballs. It's all I got to say about that.

jodi205 - lol.. yeah, we even made a comment about that when he brought it in. We're like "well, thanks for buying Cheyenne a present.". LOL. Our younger daughter is 4 and she'll probably enjoy it longer than my 12 yr old will. But even she's not that into Barbie's, which is why we were scaling back so much.

mom2mybabies - yep, I do all the time. I especially count my blessings that I have a new hubby that treats them so extremely well, like their his kids, too. And I know they appreciate the fact that they can always count on me.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 12:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• cm08 - I thought about that, too. But whatever, it's just the principle of it all that ticks me off. That he isn't more understanding of what she's REALLY into at this age and that he just bought it to bug me.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 12:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I don't have the exact problem you do... but when my SIL buys my kids things that I don't want, I send them right back home with her so she can play with it at her house with a thank you and a big smile on my face. Never let 'em see ya get mad or they'll just do it to get the reaction.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 1:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2008