how much does getting a divorce cost?!

how much does getting a divorce cost?!

windowgirl

Asked by windowgirl at 9:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Relationships

• Depends on the situation. It can be very expensive or very cheap. My parents just went through a divorce a few years ago and it was incredibly cheap because there was no argument and they agreed on who got what and so on. All of us are grown adults now so there was no child support/custody issues involved. Like I said it all depends on the situation. Good luck!
    mamarocks3

Answer by mamarocks3 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• If kids are involved--a lifetime of pain:-(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• yes but maybe she is protecting the kids I would call your local Law Library and go in and read about it

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• THE CHEAPEST I FOUND WAS $800. i'VE GOT A FRIEND THAT PAID $1200. i DIDN'T REALLY HAVE ANY MONEY AT THE TIME SO I WENT DOWN TO THE COURT HOUSE AND GOT A PACKET TO GUIDE ME IN FILLING MY OWN DIVORCE. IT COST ME $26. THE TOTAL WAS $52 BUT HE PAID HALF.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yeah it depends if you agree on everything...especially the kids...try a mediation...
    I would not recommend doing it yourself there is alot involved if their are children.
    My BF paid 5500.00, and I'll bet BM paid over 8000.00. I live in the East Coast where buying coffee cost more than any state...
    Know your rights before signing anything. I did my divorce myself with my X and I regret it because I missed alot of important stuff..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:27 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• If you're not smart enough then don't try to do it yourself. You'll leave important things out and if you word it incorrectly the judge will turn you away. You can do a divorce yourself even if kids are involved but if you think you wont be able to do it completely right then you need to get a lawyer. The best way to get a valid price is not here. You need to set up a consultation with a lawyer or make some calls in your area. Some of them can give you a price over the phone. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• It depends on a lot of variables: if you can agree on everything, if he will contest it, if either of you feel the need for a lawyer, all kinds of stuff. Mine cost me nothing, b/c in my state at that time, you could file as an indigent and not pay. I didn't need a lawyer, and he was in jail, so there were no arguments. But I know some people that it cost them thousands. The only real way to find out is simply to make the calls to the courthouse, lawyer, etc. and ask them what they will charge you for a divorce.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:09 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• just as everyone says, it depends. My ex and I were in agreement with EVERYTHING (even the kids), so we went to a paralegal firm and filed out-of-county, to avoid the ridiculous stipulations within our county. It only cost us $250 total. We were able to avoid costs of mediation, parenting classes, and child support. we didn't see any reason to go thru all that since we were in complete and total agreement.
    moniquesand

Answer by moniquesand at 11:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i agree it all depends where you live, if you have children and if you are both in agreement with everything. Mine only cost $153. and we have to children together and we were in agreement with everything.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2008