my son is almost 17 months old and still wakes up sometime through the night. IS THIS BAD. I feed him meals.

my son is almost 17 months old and still wakes up in the middle of the night. I feed him 3 meals a day or more. Sometime it sounds like he is having a bad dream. Plus he gets heart burn at times. What can I personally do to help this situation?

meme10083

Asked by meme10083 at 9:25 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Health

• my daughter wakes up sometimes too. (she is 17 1/2 months old)
    if she starts crying i will stay in front of her door room and listen. if she is crying for more than 3-5 minutes then i will go in and check whats going on.. sometimes its just a bad dream and i will pick her up and cuddle with her for a few minutes. if that doesnt help i will give her some warm baby tea. That always helps and then she will go right back to sleep.

it happens only once every other week though. or maybe once a week. depends.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 9:28 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My oldest had night terrors at that age. He would wake up 2-3 nights a week screaming and couldn't be comforted. The Dr. said there was nothing I could do. He eventually outgrew it.

Both of my sons woke up at night once or twice a week until they were about four. My kids just aren't sleepers. As babies/toddlers, their naps were only about an hour long, and they both gave up napping during the day before they were three.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:09 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• How do you know a 17 mo old has heartburn?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• They say kids like us wake up at night several times.
    we just roll over and go to sleep. no problem.
    he waking up and wanting you. thats a problem. he needs to learn to go to sleep with out you.
    I used "the no cry sleep solution" lots and they explain infant sleep cycles...

do you still rock him to sleep? do you put him down with a bottle? if yes.. stop these things.

You have to figure out what he is getting out of getting you in the room and eliminate it. Don't feed him, or give water, don't play games, don't have fun in any way. Eliminate any possible reward (its probably you) As with any parenting methods you have to figure out what works best for your situation.. I would go in give him his pacifier pat him on the back and say nice things and the let him cry it out. I'm terrible I know but now he will sleep 10-12 hours every night no matter what time he goes to bed. NICE!!!

Don't give up.
    CocoMason

Answer by CocoMason at 12:09 AM on Dec. 19, 2008