why not cold medicine?

I was looking on web MD and they said dont give a child cold medicine that is under 4 yrs. old but the doctor my sons of course, said that pedicare would be fine he does not want me to give Anthony Tylenol and I understand that but why is the pedicare okay? My son is 17 months old. Should I be concerned.

meme10083

Asked by meme10083 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Health

• No one in my family can take cold medicines for various reasons - my husband because it raises his BP, me because it does a number on me and causes more problems than it helps, and my kids because they have terrible reactions to the colorings in them. Honestly, there really is no medicine that can cure a cold, only relieve symptoms but there are natural, better ways to deal with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• They say not to give them anything b/c cold medicines can cause a lot of side effects. My daughters doctor always told me to just use vicks and a humidifier and never to give her a cough suppressent.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• For people who have high BP, their is a product out called CORICIDIN. For colds and flu. Execpt for a fever I try not to give or take anything. Because cold and flu medacine only masks the sickness, it does not get rid of it. the only time I do take it is at night so I can sleep.

Answer by louise2 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I think that it was because lots of it doesnt work and people weren't giving the correct dosages because the instructions were not clear. You have to go by weight. As far as my personal opinion, I dont use OTC products unless the doc says its okay, but usually he writes me an rx for something better. I find that psuedophedrine works the best and I keep it in small doses. I wait until its really bothersome before I treat it with meds though. I also let him write me an rx for cough too. I just got one the other day that was for every symptom. Doc knows that I will give it to everyone in the house if need be. I took it first to see how it worked becaus I was also sick. It made my head feel floaty so I decided that my dd didn't need it quite yet. Shes actually getting better.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• You don't want to cover symptoms. Children become very ill very fast, and if the symptoms are covered up you can miss something being seriously wrong.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2008