Does anyone know why my potty trained daughter keeps having accidents that are getting more frequent?

My 3 year old has been potty trained for over a year. Last week she started having 'accidents'. The first few times I forgave her thinking it really was an accident. They just keep getting more frequent. Its at least once a day now, today she has 3 times. I dont know what to do, im about to break down and buy diapers. Then after all that, she lies to me about it. She will stand over a puddle and i will ask if she peed in her panties and she will tell me no. Im beside myself. Her daddy is in Afganistan and has been for 7 months. Please help!!

ashrod

Asked by ashrod at 9:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• maybe she has a bladder infection?

or is just missing daddy a lot
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 9:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• It could be missing Daddy or a UTI. The only time my girls pee on themselves is when they have a UTI. Make she she is getting enough contact with Daddy, it can be hard on kids. My husband has been to Iraq and Afghanistan and my girls took it the hardest.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Her daddy is in Afganistan and has been for 7 months. <=====That's my guess as to the culprit for these "accidents".
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• It could just be a phase..are they full on accidents or are they just "dribbling" before she realizes she has to go. My dd is 3 and has been potty trained for a year too, and she has recently starte this--but we also had a new baby last month. Has anything changed that would cause her to start this? I think if daddy has been gone for 7 months that she would've started this a little earlier than now, but I could be wrong. The others have a point,..if it's started just out of the blue, get her checked for a bladder infection or uti. If nothing's wron then all you can do is ride it out, and praise her when she does go on the potty. Good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I completely agree with the above posters! Regression is common when there are stressful factors in the child's life or if she does have an infection, she may not be able to recognize that something is wrong. You should definitely take her to the doctor to have her checked out.
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Maybe your family dynamics has changed, maybe her routine was interrupted, maybe some emotional event has touched her, and maybe you went for holiday and new environment had an impact. Lots of possibilities for regression. And maybe you are expecting another baby or maybe .... Just something else.
    LadyGI

Answer by LadyGI at 6:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

• she might be missing daddy and because of it she is having accidents. If you have webcam she can see her daddy and maybe she will stop doing the accidents. Otherwise if daddy can call have her talk to him but before she does tell him what she has been doing with the accidents, and then have daddy talk to her about the accidents. maybe daddy can get a reason out of her that your not getting and when she is done with daddy, go in the other room with the phone and ask your husband what your daughter told him about the accidents and go from there.
    Now if you can't do this then talk to her when she has it and ask her are you having accidents because you can't make it to the bathroom or because you miss daddy. If she misses daddy get a picture of daddy and hang in it the bathroom that way when she goes in there she will see daddy and maybe want to make him proud.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 10:22 AM on Jul. 19, 2011