Would you call the cops if a neighborhood kid threw a rock at your car (once)?

The next door neighbor just knocked on my door to tell me my son threw a rock at her car.
Um, okay. But my 3 girls were sitting right in the yard and they right away jumped up to say it wasn't my son but the boy that lives down the street (who's a bit of a trouble maker).
So I explain that to the woman. She seems nice enough about it.

The boy is sitting in my yard looking guilty as dirt but won't speak to her so she tells him she's going to go talk to his mom and that if he had damaged her car his mother would be liable for the repairs. As she's walking across the yard someone in her house starts yelling out the door for her to just call the cops.

I'm like WTH? Call the cops because a kid threw one rock? He's like 6 or 7 years old, by the way.

Whoever was in the house insisted it would just be easier to call the cops over this issue like the cops don't have anything better to do than deal with an issue that could and SHOULD easily be dealt with like the woman originally wanted to do: by talking to the kids' mother who I know would punish him (as I would have done if I caught my kid doing it although I don't think he would on purpose in a million years).

This is what's wrong with the world today... people skipping talking to each other to deal with their problems and just calling the cops for minor stuff. Hopefully the neighbor won't listen to her friend.

Of course if this was an ongoing problem I could understand involving the police but a one time incident should be settled neighbor to neighbor, IMO.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 10:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Honestly, yes, I'd call the cops. It will scare the crap out of both the mother and the boy and if there is damage, then insurance has a police report to take care of the issues.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Yes, I would call the cops.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• she didn't did she? she went down and talked to the mom right? this isn't one for the cops to handle, it should be handled by the parents.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I have called the cops for kids throwing rocks at my car, but it was 3 kids and they were teenagers....and the car they were throwing rocks at was a fully restored 1968 VW Beetle that we used to take to car shows. A 6-year-old throwing one rock, isn't that big a deal and he should get off with a talking to/ parental discipline this time IMO.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Nope I would not if it was the first time that seems a little ridiculous to me
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Talk to the kid can scary the kid. If it don't have cop talk to him it. The cop can give him a little scary. I can help him to watch out what he been doing.
    margie4kids

Answer by margie4kids at 10:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• If he damaged her car. She has to call the cops to get the insurance company to fix it I think.

Answer by louise2 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• For a first offense, no, I wouldn't involve the police, they have better things to do. If the kid were a repeat offender, then yes, the police need to be involved.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I have called over this before because the two boys that nailed my windshield and nearly caused an accident were known for trouble. Whether this was the first time the boy did this or not, he was also known for trouble, right? Maybe it's time someone other than mom addresses him.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• depends on the situation.. in that situation.. IF my car had no damage, I would have just talked to the kids mother.. IF my car had damage, yes I would call the cops because inorder to have my car fixed by my insurance I'd have to file a report with the police for the insurance company to take the file.

I remember in one apartment I had my neighbor downstairs (friends of ours), had a kid throw an axe at her car, it tore up the whole door.. I'd seen the kid pick up the axe after it happened and ran off.. obviously in that case we called the cops.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2011