• In the Spotlight:

How do you stop bullying amongt adults?

At my son's school the women are so catty. I really need to make friends there cuz I am always alone. I really would like to know one girl better, but her friends are like the girls fromMean Girls. Help....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Ah, sounds like the PTA girls at my daughter's elementary school...real b*tches, those gals. They would even cheat for their kids during events where there were prizes!
    There was one mom I was interested in befriending, and at first, I held back because she was usually talking with the PTA witches...but I started talking to her one morning when we were both their early for a project with the girls' class (her daughter and mine were in the same class)...and found out she didn't like them any more and I did. She merely made nice with them to keep the peace so to speak. We began having coffee in the mornings, and now, 9 years later, we are still close friends. In fact she and her family come to my house most holidays!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 10:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Well you could just ask the one girl if she wants to get a cup of coffee. Or schedule a play date with your two kids. Try to plan something so it's just the two of you. Ignore what the other people think. It sounds just like highschool. Make it clear you don't have time for that crap by not paying any attention to it and don't let it bother you.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:48 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Her friend will stare and make faces.It is terrible.I feel like an outcast.Waiting outside.Then I go in and they're like what is she doing here?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• honestly i wouldn't want to be their friends they can stare and gawk all they want. a sign of jealousy is what i say
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• If she is friends with the mean girls. I wouldn't want to befriend her. Because of the company she keeps. Befriend women that are more like you. The friendship will last longer

Answer by louise2 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Our schools are like that too. I think they just have this social standard and arent threatened until someone else comes in who looks like them, dresses like them and drives what they drive but isn't a part of the group. I don't know if that makes sense, but if I were 20 yrs old, on food stamps, unmarried, driving an old beater car, then they would probably be nice to me or just act like I wasn't there. I think that my mentality that I wanted to be their friends but I wasn't going to lose sleep over it bothered them. Most of them are SO superficial and fake, but they have been nice. Thats all I ask. I also didn't want to judge them too quickly either. Step out there and invite one of them to lunch. Most likely, they will nicer than you think and they are ALWAYS better one on one. Sometimes being in a group makes people more snobby.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• OMG. Yes.It's funny the more sloppy and street you look, the nicer they are. Then god forbid you dress nice and wear nice jewlery , they really try to make you feel like you are a big shot and they don't like it. But then when they dress up it's always ok, and they are the best. It is just a no win situation. In a small school of 245 students, I an not find any sahms that are not intimidated. The working moms are different. They are so cool and understand not evryone wants to wear the mom jeans and drink out of a dd cup and make cookies...God I need to go back to work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Oh, I forgot to say, my point in all that is just this: Talk to her. Just because she's talking to the mean moms doesn't mean she's like them. Make an effort, and be confident. They're (the MM) not better than you, and you have to show that you are aware of that. Don't be stuck up, but be confident and don't act intimidated, even if you feel you are. Just ask her if she wants to grab a cup of coffee some time and talk about (fill in the blank).
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 10:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Why do you really need to make friends there? If they're all catty and b*tches basically why bother. I dealt with the same kind of thing when I was picking my daughter up at her old school and I tried to make conversation a couple times and was actually snubbed! So from then on I just waited there with my head high until my daughter came out and we walked home. Screw 'em. And when it came time for concerts and stuff I went with my mom or sometimes alone took my seat and enjoyed myself. It was real bad to the point were this group were all PTA members and if you wanted to volunteer or God forbid join and you weren't their "type" it wasn't happening. But hey to hell with them is what I had to say for a good 3 years. Its nice to have friends but not people like that.
    CrzyMa

Answer by CrzyMa at 10:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Oh god. It's like my husband is in charge of the PTA. That might have something to do with it. I do not fit into the same page with his high standards. So people assume I am the same take charge way.I am so intimidated by the scurinty of all these I am in private school people. So how the heck do I act proud without seeming stuckup? It is lonely when no sahms want to talk to you. The working moms are cool. They understand me better. I hope this makes ense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2008