I have a 14 month old girl that has started whining constantly. Nothing I seem to do makes her happy. She used to be a happy go lucky child but it seems as if something has changed and she is unhappy most of the time. Tantrums are increasing and I don't know why. She is my first and only child so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Any ideas?

It has been going on for about 2 weeks now. She is not showing any sickness signs, beyond the constant runny nose. And she has been seen by her Dr. for any underlying problems. Her preschool teachers have even noticed the change.

biscuit104

Asked by biscuit104 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Whining and tantrums are so normal. I still haven't figured out what the best way to deal with that is. I either ignore it or I talk in a calm voice that I can not understand them when they are like that and tell him that when he can talk without whining, then I will listen. Good luck!
    delta27

Answer by delta27 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• It's normal. With my almost 16 month old twins, they go through spells of this, but it is usually only really bad for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. When they start getting whiney sometimes I can give them something different to play with, like a box or a cardboard roll. and they will focus on that for a while. Before it got too cold I used to take them out for a walk - the fresh air usually put them in better moods. Sometimes a little more rigorous indoor play also helps. At this age they are needing more intense physical activity and more varied entertainment. Anything different, like building a tent out of boxes and blankets and going in with a flashlight, usually also helps them. For tantrums, I move them to a different location and try to help them calm down, but I don't give in to whatever it was they were throwing the fit for.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I know it is hard but I hope you are ingnoring her when she has her temper tantrums... If not they are just going to get worse, she will figure out right away she can get your attention by tantrums.. Also if she is talking and whining let her know what delta said. Tell her you can't understand her and when she talks like a big girl you will listen. Good luck!
    Rjmjpappy

Answer by Rjmjpappy at 10:36 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• The hustle bustle and excitement of the holidays can sometimes be an "underlying problem " in increaed meltdowns for toddlers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Definately normal! When my daughter when through this stage I ignored the tantrums and told her to stop the whining and to use her big girl words. It can get annoying but eventurally she will move onto another phase, but I'm not saying it will be any better.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 11:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I know that a few pp said to ignore her, but with my son, I didn't. This is how I saw it- if he is upset and feels that I'm not paying attention to him, that he is willing to get into trouble, then wouldn't it be easier to just give him some attention? Its way easier and a lot less stressful to sit down and read a story or play for a few minutes or just watch some cartoons together than TRYING to ignore a screaming child. After a while, he stopped throwing fits all together and would ask if we could do something together. He's three now, so he likes to play by himself, but there are times he will ask if I will come play with him.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I hate to say this, but welcome to the world of parenting a toddler. Toddlers are like rollercoasters...one minute they are thrilled to be around you and the next, you are their enemy and obviously only want to cause them headaches. Best piece of advice is to ignore the tantrums. Don't feed into it...turn your back and/or leave the room. Soon your toddler will figure out she's not getting the attention she wants and, hopefully, move onto something else. Good luck...you have another couple years of this fun!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yeah, tantrums and whining are normal, but if her teachers and you notice a change, there may be something else going on. Have there been any changes in her life lately, new baby? new home? someone move away? anything that's different? Maybe something is different at school or a child that is whining there that she's learning to imitate. But a drastic change in her demeanor is a concern. Not time to bring in the therapists, but it may take some sleuthing to figure out. If you can sit down and talk it out with the teachers, that may help. Good Luck!!
    usa29

Answer by usa29 at 7:49 AM on Dec. 19, 2008