MY 5month old HATES tummy time... she'll do it for about 5 minutes and that it. Her muscles are not developed as good as they should be in that area... anyone have any good ideas to help her like tummy time? Or other advice?

I've tried playing with her on the ground and putting toys just out of reach. She can't sit on her own very well yet becuase she sits way forword with her hands as supposrt... like a monkey. Shes not scooting or anything. I know tummy time would help this but she just cries after a few minutes.

dtetz

Asked by dtetz at 10:11 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to gradually increase the tummy time, daily. My daughter was the same way. I started a little earlier though. They may hate it but some babies (not necessarily yours & i'm not being rude) are a little lazy. They just don't want to do it. I was always told it's good to let their lungs develop too. I put my daughter on her tummy whether she liked it or not. She would scream but it made her want to roll over faster. Also remember that every child is differnt.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 10:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• lay on the floor, and put her on your chest. My dd loved that and hated being in the floor. ... until she learned to roll, then she loved it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I agree with the PP, I was going to say ANY time spent on her belly (on your chest, on SO's chest, or for a few minutes at a time on the floor) is better. Does she mind if you put some type of a wedge under her? like a blanket rolled up? Give her something to look at, like put her on a floor gym with some of her toys to look at and grab at....and I would definitely get on the floor with her anytime you can! I think I got lucky, my (almost) 4 month old likes to be on his tummy! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:16 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Try a Boppy, I know they make mats with a mini boppy on it.
    heatmac4

Answer by heatmac4 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• both my kids hated tummy time! it was like pulling teeth to get them on their bellies. i used a boppy like pp said and that was more enjoyable for them or when they layed on my belly. i don't think my kids got nearly enough tummy time cause of their protesting but they were developmentally ahead or average with everything. so i wouldn't worry as long as he's gettting some tummy time.
    muensters_ma

Answer by muensters_ma at 10:38 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Lay and let her takes naps on your tummy. I barely have tummy time for my son. i always lay him on my tummy while we play. He hates tummy time, too but his muscle development is very good. He can lift his head up very well now and could do it when he was only 2 months. !! GOod luck
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My lo isn't sitting on his own yet either. He's also 5 months old. He does what you said your daughter does. I don't think you should stress about it. My dd hated tummy time too & didn't crawl until she was 10 months old and then started walking shortly after. As long as your LO isn't showing any true developmental delays, don't worry. Just enjoy these next few months of your baby being a baby! All in good time.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 11:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• she will figure it out no rush...... my daughter just now started crawling and she was closer to ten months, but she is healthy as can be. I take her to all her checkups... the next milestone your looking for is pulling self up at 12 months.... crawling is not even a milestone
    ashley8406

Answer by ashley8406 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• as long as she is sitting unsupported at around six months.... i wouldnt worry. My daughter was prob six 1/2 before she didnt do the monkey sitting anymore
    ashley8406

Answer by ashley8406 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Lay with your knees up, like you might reading a book in bed. Put the baby over your knees, so her torso is against your shins and the front part of your lower legs, and her head is up over the top of your knees (almost like she was standing, just leaning forward against your legs). Lift your legs up so that your knees stay in almost the same position but your lower legs (and baby) are almost horizontal, parallel to the floor. Like an airplane! Hold baby wherever you and she are comfy (by the hands, arms, under ribs) and float your legs up and down, back and forth... it's good exercise in head control for them, and good ab work for you!
    LinaRina

Answer by LinaRina at 12:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2008