I have a 13 month old boy and I have begun to sit him on the potty chair a few times a day to familiarize him with it and begin slowly potty training. I have a hard time keeping him on there. He tries to get off as soon as I put him on there. I sing songs and praise him but it usually doesn't work. How can I keep him on the potty?

ShadeOfJade

Asked by ShadeOfJade at 10:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 13 month old is getting a potty for xmas, just to teach him what it is, and i also bought him 2 books, "once upon a potty-boys" and "the potty book-for boys" to read him storys and try to get him to understand it that way, and i dont plan on potty training anytime soon, just trying to get him used to the idea , i will start to potty train closer to 2 maybe even after 2 unless he shows signs hes ready
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 10:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• He's 13 months?

See you at 2 1/2.

You need to relax - he won't go to kindegarten in diapers - if you push too hard, it will be worse.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i always give my daughter something to play with if she won't stay on it plus her potty plays music so if she starts getting restless i just push the button and we listen to the music
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:25 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• just not ready... when your son is ready to sit there he will =) just be patient give it a few months and try again!! I play on starting potty training my son when hes about 18 months
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• my ds was also intrested early, but only for a small amount of time , we sang and read books. He thought the books was cool because he was being like his grandpa!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• It doesn't sound like he is at all interested in it and if you are pushing it too much then you can actually make the process take longer! He will let you know when he is ready. My daughter was potty trained at 18 months and my son was 24 months. They will let you know. Slow down and enjoy it while you can pretty soon he will be all grown up!
    Rjmjpappy

Answer by Rjmjpappy at 10:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• make it a fun place. Every time he goes on the potty give him a little treat (use a treat he will only get when he sits on the potty). Give him a treat even if its for a couple seconds. After a while he will notice he always gets something when he sits there. Remember give him a treat while he's sitting there. Dont give him a treat when he gets up only while he's sitting down. If you give him a treat while he's sitting down and then he gets up, thats fine. Everything with potty training takes a long time. Dont expect to see results in a couple weeks. Always make a HUGE deal out of him sitting on the potty, even if its for a second. By the time he is ready to potty train, he wont mind sitting there as much and it will be easier. Like everyone before me said, dont rush it and dont force him to stay on the potty. You dont want to make it a stressful, unhappy place!!!!
    momof2boys987

Answer by momof2boys987 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• He is not interested. My son who is now 20 months has shown interested. He has used the potty a few times but he goes though phases. I am not pushing it, if he does not want to sit on it do not make him it will only maker it harder later down the line. Best of luck!!
    spunkymomof3

Answer by spunkymomof3 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I would give my son a lollipop whenever he sat on the potty, if he got up i took it away. This worked until he realized that he could bite it. Remember dont push it he will let you know when he is ready. He is still very young.
    prettyeyedmommy

Answer by prettyeyedmommy at 11:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• 13 months!! That is way to early!! My ds will be 2 in Feb and I plan on starting after the holidays, he has a potty and has sat on it for a while but nothing happened so I'm waiting a while longer.
    Anonymous