How do you handle "The News"

How do people handle the news that your SO might be getting laid off soon? It's a family owned business so him being part of the family didn't think it would actually happen until... I got the phone call! "Honey we ALL might be laid off SOON!" then he tells me not to think about it... What do/did you do to prepare or not overly stress about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Money & Work

• I heard the news today too. I have been out of work for months, I haven't been able to return because I cannot secure a job that pays enough for me to be able to afford daycare. I am working with Ameriplan and slowly but surely building an income, but I can't replace two incomes quickly enough. So, I went online and sent out DH's resume (since I'm home anyway) and found a couple of paper routes in the area that we can pick up to supplement our current income and replace some of his if he does end up on unemployment. We are also checking into foster programs in our area. I love being a mom, and it's a non traditional "job" that could keep us afloat. I am trying to think outside of the box, since the box is pretty much empty right now.
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Look at ways you can cut back, things you can do without. Look at your saving, or lack of, and make a plan. If you work, you may need to take extra hours, or if you don't you may need to think about taking a job or a work at home job.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• We cut back everything (unfortunatly we are stuck with the auto payments), then find a job. Believe me it is not easy. You have to supplement your income. Believe me, I rent from my parents and they just told me they can't afford the mortgage this month, so I am taking the first job that comes along, so I can pay that and keep not only my house, but keep a roof over their heads, and my sisters fam, and my grandmother. Whatever that job may be, God Bless your family!!
    Anonymous

• You prepare the best you can. We cut back on things, drained our 401Ks, then came to conclusion to file bankruptcy so we could get to zero debt and live off of one salary. Now if you are a SAHM you may want to consider doing a part time or full time depending to supplement. Jobs are not the most desireable but they do exist. I am actually thinking of getting 2nd one.
    Anonymous

• We didnt get a chance to prepare...he went in one day and said they are cutting hours and he was one of the ones that was getting let go. It sucked really bad. It was the hardest time of our lives. We struggled, bills didnt get paid in a timely manner, we had to get food from my parents so we could eat. I stopped bringing lunch to work and eating breakfast just to make it on what we had. We lived on my little income for awhile (and what little he got from unemployment).
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• continued...

Then we started to find the light at the end of the tunnel. It was still a long ways off but we could get a glimps of it from time to time. He got a part time job that paid a little better than unemployment and had free training, then he got a different, better, full time job that pays great with the training he got. Now he is in training to be a manager. We are still in the tunnel, but we are within arms reach of the opening.

You can do it, just hang in there. It brings you a lot closer as a family to go through something so hard. Good luck and I hope it does not happen.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• OK, my husband was laid off twice in the past 2 years. Both times were for New Years. And when my husband had word that they were doing cut-backs, he told me not to worry about anything. I had a lot to worry about. New baby, I wasn't working. That's why I have multiple streams of income coming in from home now. I WILL BE PREPARED next time.

Make sure that your husband has already started his search for a ew job. DO NOT wait till they tell him "Goodbye". We are living in a tough economy right now, and EVERYONE needs to be prepared.

Good Luck with everything. Be Blessed!
    smboutique

Answer by smboutique at 2:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2008