Reverend Rick Warren will deliver the invocation at Obama's Inaguration. Do you think some in the LGBT community is justified in being upset?

Dr. Rick Warren, an evangelical minister, A man who supported the victorious anti-gay-marriage California ballot proposition -- infuriated gay-rights groups. “‘Your invitation to Reverend Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at your inauguration is a genuine blow to LGBT Americans,’ the president of Human Rights Campaign, Joe Solomonese, wrote Obama Wednesday. ‘[W]e feel a deep level of disrespect when one of architects and promoters of an anti-gay agenda is given the prominence and the pulpit of your historic nomination.’”

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/12/18/1720565.aspx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• i think i would look at it as progress.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I think that having him speak does not make him an advisor of Obama, and I know that Obama was invited and did speak at the Reverend's church while campaigning. So, as a straight person I can separate it. However, my friend made this point: If you were in the middle of a civil rights struggle for black people, would you invite David Duke to speak? Probably not. Yes he is a citizen of the country, and yes, he does have protection under the law, but are you going to change him from espousing hatred? No.

Basically, I see both sides.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Gee..why is everyone so upset. Could it be because they thought "lets put a man of color in office and he'll be our boy". When I said that 6 months ago ppl said no way, that will never happen. Hmm..seems like the possiblilty becomes a little more real with each passing day. You doubt me..rethink the quotation ".. deep level of disrespect when one of architects and promoters of an anti-gay agenda is given the prominence and the pulpit of your historic nomination.’”

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• anon, so have you agreed with every decision of every president or law maker you've voted for?
    i don't think so.
    you can vote for someone and agree with them on a lot of issues and still not appreciate how they are handling a certain situation or issue.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Heatherama...the point was not about agreeing or disagreeing with his decsion. The point was there are lots and lots of folks out there who think Obama, by virtue of being non-white, will adhere to all their special interests. I brought this up months ago and got jumped all over for even suggesting it. The news of the last week is bearing evidence of exactly that. If not why else use a phrase like "..the prominence and the pulpit of your historic nomination.’” The presidency is a prominent position by all means. But is it a pulpit? A pulpit due to the historic nomination of a president of color. THAT is my point.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i can see how that might piss LGBTs. but its a little ridiculous to get all fired up over it. there just giving it more publicity than it woulda recieved otherwise. i knew nothing about the Rev till i read an article this morning about LGBTs getting mad. im sure Obama just wants a good speaker at his inaguration, so why not go w/ someone who does it on a weekly basis. so long as the Rev doesn't say anything about LGBTs during the speech everything should be fine. you don't have to agree w/ everything someone says to think they are a good speaker.

imo, if LGBTs dont stop protesting every little thing they wont be listened to or taken serious when something happens thats worthy of protest. like if the Rev says something during the inaguration speech.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I don't see why they would be upset. He is one may participating in a historical national ceremony. It's not like Obama agrees with him and has any previous trend of consulting with Rev Warren.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I would not be upset, I would hope his congregation would not be upset. I too see that as progress and Obama being more of a Centrist than he had the extreme left believing while he ran for President. Rick Warren praying over that inauguration is a powerful thing, I'm all for it.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Akinbottom2:I too see that as progress and Obama being more of a Centrist

Good Point!!  I agree with that.  And I do see him gravitating to some more "centrist" ideas in his speeches, etc... 

(and my comment was meant to say "he is one man participating.."

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I am actually more disappointed that Rick Warren is agreeing to give the invocation. To me, it's completely wrong and supposedly Rick Warren stands for everything that Obama was against during his campaign (i.e. Rick W. is pro-life, anti-gay marriage, etc. whereas Obama is definitely pro-choice and pro gay marriage).
    Anonymous