Did anyone experience trouble working out in first trimester?

I'm six weeks along and have only known about my pregnancy for 5 days. I tried to do my normal yoga routine this morning and had to stop after only about 15 minutes. My heart was beating a lot faster than normal and I was really out of breath. I also started to cramp a little. (I've been cramping a little every day anyway, though.) It's frustrating, because I definitely want to continue working out, but I also know that I'm experiencing a LOT of symptoms right now, so that might be contributing to it. Can I expect this to go away and to be able to resume my workouts?

Mickey_The_Mom

Asked by Mickey_The_Mom at 11:33 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Being out of breath can be b/c of your hormones i'm 19wks and get out of breath so easy its annoying. My sister starting spoting when she would work out while she was PG and her DR told her to stop. She and the baby were fine but he did'nt want her to risk it.
    heatmac4

Answer by heatmac4 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• the heart rate thing..... this will go away, believe me. keep working out. i'm a personal trainer who is 6m pregnant now. just got push yourself to exhaustion, or dizziness
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• *just don't push yourself to exhaustion.. or dizziness. sorry, typo
    charisma10

• take it easy. dont push yourself cause you can hurt you, or the baby. or both.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 2:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yes..to the point I was really sick and couldnt do anything my whole pregnancy pretty much. I have always been an active person so having to rest all the time I nearly went crazy. Just be careful and take it easy..I know some people who kept climbing everyday until they gave birth!!
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I did not work out at all until i got preggers. and i too chose yoga. it can be extremely relaxing. you have to member to breath right. there is a preggo yoga in stores its around 12 bucks you may want to try it its not as stressful.
    momdallas

Answer by momdallas at 4:35 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Your heart rate goes up naturally with pregnancy so what you are experiencing is normal. In the first trimester you are probably going to be fatiqued easier since your body is adjusting to accomodate the baby. Your blood flow changes... everything is different. In a few weeks your body is going to feel completely different. That's the funny thing about pregnancy... you never know what it is going to be like from day to day. You are probably fine to work out still but have a doc check your blood pressure and heart rate under "stress" so you can be sure you are good to go.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I too am about 5 or 6 weeks prego... my due date is March 31st and feel like I just cant get a breath in.... my heart beats so fast if I have been moving around alot... such as playing with my kids, cooking dinner or just being on my feet for a long time. I even get short of breath playing with my Wii!!! So you are not alone!
    wifey26

Answer by wifey26 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2009