What's the deal with honey and peanut butter?

I know that babies who consume honey at a young age are at an increased risk for botulism. The typical age at which honey is deemed safe is about 1 year old. Has anyone been told later by their doctor? What about pb? Is it solely the concern for future allergies to it? Has anyone discussed this with the doc? My doctor was adamant about the honey but not so much about the pb.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Peanut butter is a high risk of allergies. Some studies are showing that delaying introducing it won't make a difference, but more studies show it is best to wait. The AAP recommends waiting until 24 months (unless this has changed recently) to help reduce allergies.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i was told 2years old for honey but maybe its changed this was 7years ago. ABSOLUTLY no honey for a year it truly is a bad thing but as for the PB i have never heard not to give your child PB i would think that befor a year old that have a chance of choking on it but i wouldnt think it would increase the chance of a allergie. Im allergic to peanuts but never had a issue till i was a adult and i didnt get PB according to my mother till i was like 2.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:49 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My grnadchildrens Pediatrician said 2 yrs on both. When my own boys were small they said 12 months on honey and Peanut butter allergies weren't even on the radar then.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• ive always heard a year for honey...and the pb thing was new to me when i had my DD. im not too worried about the allergy b/c no one in my family has ANY allergies. im not giving it to her till 1-2 years just cause its so sticky. i wouldnt want her to choke on it!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• yes its the whole food allergy thing... especially if food allergies run in the family... my bf's mom, has asthma and is allergic to all nuts, my bf has asthma, so we arent going to allow our boy nuts til he's alot older than a year...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• It's all about the allergies. Babies exposed to peanut products, honey and milk have an increased risk to have severe allergies to them. We gave my son one taste of peanut butter at 11 mnths. and nothing happened so we let him have a taste when we are making sandwiches. As far as honey, he hasn't had that yet!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• After dealing with infant botulism when my son was a few days from turning 5 months, don't give a child honey (or Karo Syrup) until they turn 1. (Not only can an infant get botulism from honey, Karo Syrup and spoiled food, but they can also get it from inhaling a spore that comes from disturbed soil where a home is being built.) Without good medical care, we would have lost him. I was so scared of going through infant botulism again that I didn't give him honey for the first time until yesterday. He turned 2 a few weeks ago. Your question about peanut butter is because it is an allergy issue.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:15 AM on Dec. 19, 2008