Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you leave your husband if you have no money??

My family is far away and there is no place for me and my daughter with them. my husband is not the kind to cross state lines to come after me for custody, but he will do what he can so I can't have anything when I leave him. He is so vindictive that when he found out I was saving money to leave him he found a way to get it and take it all. Now I have nothing and my job will not pay the bills. I am willing to quit my job and move to where I have to so I can support us, but I have zero dollars to get us started (I had 5 thousand saved that he found and took). I can't sue him for it because of the sneaky way he went about it... how do I leave him if I have no money to my name? he is not physically abusive but he is controlling as all hell and really nasty to me in front of our child and no use to her whatsoever.



the way I set up the separate account I did not exclude him from online access so he had access to online transfers.. I did not do that intentionally, I set up the account from our joint online account so I did not know I had to EXCLUDE him from online access in order for him to legally not have access to the account. I talked to the bank and they said there is nothing I can do because of the way I set up the account in the first place so its my own stupid fault he took my money.

also, I have terrible credit so credit cards and loans are out. pawning sounds great though. I have a ton of pretty expensive items in my home that I could care less if he could live without. but I am sure he would hurt me if he saw me taking them.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (10)
  • Open up an account without his name on it for your work checks. Have them direct deposited and let the bank know that you will never move the money out of the account with out letting them know first.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

  • their is a number you can call but i don't have it anymore. you can try either dialing 2*1*1, which is an information number, or contact the police. they would know how to help you and where to put you. i'm sorry but that is all the info i have. i hope you can get away from him soon.

    Answer by noel1978 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

  • Call a womans shelter and explain you are afraid and are leaving someone who is abusive, (emotional, mental doesnt matter). They usually take you in and he doesnt find out where you are. They work to help get a job, a place to live, and with counseling should you need it.

    Answer by gemgem at 7:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

  • Womans shelter!

    Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

  • He can't take money out of an account that is only in your name. You can bust the bank for that.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

  • get a cc, borrow money against or take out a loan, not sound $ advice but anything to get the hell out, if it has to be now
    great advice on womens shelter
    there was a woman on here earlier that said the shelther would not take her because nothing physical happened
    and yes, that is believeable if abuse shelters are full

    i had to leave my ex, and local shelter was full, they did offer a couch to me in the lobby, but i found other way out

    mine found my stash of cash too, but i was determined to leave and i did

    if you call local shelter and full, call the next, and the next
    if you let them know that you are in danger when leaving, they will pick you up!

    Answer by fiatpax at 7:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

  • First off you need to confront him about your money just because your married you can have some money of your own and he had no right to take it, how did he do it.
    Now there are ways to leave without any funds, call the local shelters and try and apply for any assistance they can offer you, and tell him he is abusive with you mentally and you want out and that everytime you try to save money to move he finds out and takes it. You need to open an account in your maiden name and leave your check book or savings book at work and have all statements come to you online only and that way he won't fine out.

    Answer by dusty1962 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

  • You can also pawn some items the day your leaving. Like TV, jewelry. Any item you think will bring a price. I wouldn't confront him. If he's mentally abusive he can be physically abusive if you piss him off enough.

    Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

  • Call your local Women's Shelter today and they will have the resources you need to get out now...Get out now!

    Answer by BluDog at 9:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

  • Even if your family is far away, they can send you money or a plane ticket....

    Answer by ferrellmt at 11:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.