do i really need to start her on a sippy cup right now?

Her pedi told me at her 6month check up to start her on a sippy cup because by one he doesnt want her on the bottle anymore. i have to use the sippy cup for water and juice only but gradually be using it for her formula. because i um use her regular bottles for water milk and juice (but not in the same bottle of course LOL) and i got in trouble because bottles are only for formula not water or juices! so tell me what do you think? should i do what im doing or just follow his orders?
besides she doesnt complain..well of course she cant she's only 6months old lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow...id never heard that about no juice in a bottle. we have different bottles for juice just b/c our formula bottle nipples are too big for juice (it comes out too fast). we just had our 6 mo wellness check up & my doc didnt say anything. but it makes sense. i was thinking of starting a sippy cup just b/c its been so hard for her going from swalling food off the spoon back to the sucking motion for the bottle.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• your starting a bad habbit by giving her juice and water in her bottle. And yes you truly do want to start her on a sippy cup now so that at a year old when you need to take the bottle away its not as tramatic cuz she will already be used to the cup. Its best to have your baby off a bottle at a year old and on the sippy cup. do what your dr says.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I just started my 5 month old on a sippy cup and he loves it. I just give him a tiny bit of water when he has his cereal. I think it might make his gumbs feel better from teething too.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I would start the sippy
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Start the sippy, we started it with just enough water for her to play with and get the idea of it at 5 months or so. Juice in a bottle is horrible for kids. It will rot their teeth. Start the sippy you will be better off in the long run. A sippy is all the need after a year in my opinion. I would listen to your Dr. it's worked for my family to listen to our Dr.!!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 12:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2008