Can you still get pregnant after a successful vasectomy?

I'm asking because someone told me recently that after the guy had a vasectomy and his sperm tests came back stating that he was in the clear they got pregnant.
I'm thinking that if this can happen it could happen to me and dh. Over the past 8 years we've had little trouble getting pregnant. Our first was on our honey moon, first time without precautions. Second time it took us 2 months and the 3rd I can't remember how long but no time at all really. Then I was on the pill for several months and went away for one week and forgot my pill, had sex once while away and came home pregnant. They call me Fertile Mertle and him Super Shooter.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 7:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• The failure rate after the "all clear" has been given is 0.025%, and the latest it's been documented is 17 months after the procedure.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

• It depends on your hubby's procedure - my husband had the tubes cut, cauterized and clamped. If I turn up pregnant that baby better come out green, because unless it's an alien I'm in trouble!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

• It is possible but not probable. When they cut the tubes inside they can always grow back together after time. I wouldnt worry about it to much, its rare. My dad got one after my youngest sister and that was almost 10 years ago. If he gets it done and you wait the 3 months to have sex or use other birth control during that 3 months while he's being tested then you should be fine. (they test the guy for 3 months after the procedure to make sure it took and he is sterile)
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

• My brother had a vasectomy and his wife was pregnant 2 yrs later. He thought he was King sh*t! So, after my nephew was born she had her tubes cut, tied etc. and sent him back in for another vascectomy, lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

• It is possible
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

• The chance of conceiving from a man who's had a no scalpel vasectomy, which is the most modern method, is less than 1%.
    I know if I were to get pregnant now my hubby would be demanding a DNA test with those odds.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

• I'm in the same boat as you ScoutMom....especially since hubby's was 12 years ago and our youngest is almost 14.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

• its possable but not the norm
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 10:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2011