insomniac baby.

my daughter is 5 months old and sleeps 8 hours A DAY. not 8 hours at night, 8 hours totoal a day and i know shes supposed to be sleeping atleast 12-13 hours a day i think is what my doctor told me. i called my doctor and he says its just teething. she fusses alot like somethings wrong but idk what it is. i'll change her, feed her, burp her, rock her everything. i dont know what to do. any suggestions. no negative comments please i cant handle that right now.

sarrrr13

Asked by sarrrr13 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter is the same and she is ten months..... she wont take naps during the day.. maybe ten minutes top and shes up every couple hours at night. Just remind yourself that it goes by so fast and in the long scheme of things she will want nothing to do with mommy soon enough. Enjoy this time when you get to cuddle with her and soothe her and rock her. Also I dont know if its a myth or not but I have been told by several people that babies who fight sleep tend to be higher intelligence levels as adults
    ashley8406

Answer by ashley8406 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• EVERY baby is different, and while the majority of babies need 12-13 hours of sleep, some are quite alright with just 8, some need even less. I would suggest doing all you can to keep her from sleeping at extended periods during the day. Allow an hour or so hear and there, but no more. Come up with a time at night when she is to be put to bed, and stick with it. She will cry, no doubt about it, but she will live. Put a fan on in the room for some comforting white noise, nurse or feed her, and put her to bed sleepy but not asleep. As she cries, go to her, say every five minutes and comfort her by rubbing her back and whispering. Then leave. I did this with my daughter at seven months and it took three nights of multiple comfortings, but each night, within an hour or so, she'd fall asleep. She key is to show her that you are in control, and that she must sleep. You must MUST be consistent.
    theitalian3721

Answer by theitalian3721 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• she has sleep reversal ... its common, my son is teething now... little sucker bit my nipple the other day.... ouchy... lol anyhow, this weekend, you'll need to work with her, i know with the holidays coming there are parties and gatherings etc, but she needs to learn to flip her sleep schedule... there is a book called baby411 and they have great advice on sleeping... also, i wrote on my blog this morning about my sleep techniques, and my son has been sleeping thru the night since he was 4 weeks old.. if you have time, read some of it.. my guess is it is a sleep reversal where she sees night as day and vice versa... good luck mom, if you need help, msg me
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My son wouldn't even sleep 8 hrs. during the day! He wanted to always be awake and alert. Some of my family thought I was crazy and they would try to get him to sleep but he wouldn't. He would just lay there and look around! Some babies are just really alert! It's a good thing! The best advice I can give you is to find her, give her a warm bath, and put her in her bed. Same time every night so it becomes routine for her. She'll eventually get it all straightened out! Good Luck!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• She probably just doesn't need much sleep. I think my son sleep about 9 hours all together. As long as they are not a big crab it's fine I think.

But if you want some methods of getting her to sleep... for out nap times recently he has wanted to be all nice and tight in a swaddle and then bounced to sleep (I don't know WHY he finds it soothing, but he does)... it's worth a shot!
    And like most babies he falls alseep on car rides, so I run errands and he gets a nice nap in.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I would open up you curtains and let as much sunshine as possible in your house! I would play and play, undress her to her diaper, play with her feet, give her a bath, anything to keep her up and busy!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2008