What all goes in chili?

I've got the meat, beans, onion, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chili powder. What else goes in it? It tastes real tomato-ey. I guess I may have put too much tomato sauce in it.

mykidsmommy

Asked by mykidsmommy at 12:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Food & Drink

• sounds like you need more chili powder
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 12:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Thanks! I'm not sure how much to put in. Is there a such thing as 'too much'?
    mykidsmommy

Answer by mykidsmommy at 12:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yes there is such a thing as too much. Just keep tasting to make sure you don't overdo it. I, personally, like the actual seasoning packets. It takes a lot of the guess work out of it.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• there can be we put green onions in ours and garlic powder and worcestershire sauce and if anything like chili or spaghetti sauce tastes too acidic for me a add a little sugar
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I always use, 1 small tomato sauce, 1 small tomato paste, 2 beans, 1 lb meat, 1 can mushrooms, 1 onion, chili powder,,,,,and you can add different spices depending on what you like.
    Chili is so versital. Good Luck!
    ketha04

Answer by ketha04 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Thanks everybody. I usually use the chili packet but didn't have it this time and figured I could just make it myself. Next time I'll definately be buying the packet!!
    mykidsmommy

Answer by mykidsmommy at 12:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I use a pound of meat, two cans of beans, one can of diced tomatoes, one chopped onion, cumin, garlic salt, onion powder, and tabasco sauce to taste :oD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I add a few pinches of cumin in mine; it gives it a nice smokey flavor.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 4:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I just made turkey chili a few days ago...
    I browned 1 lb ground turkey, added one diced onion. Tomato paste, chili powder, ground cumin, Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper,dried oregano, cayenne pepper, one large can of crushed tomatoes, 1 large can of Mild Rotel ( we love it spicy, but the kids don't so I have to make it mild for them and then we doctor ours)and some water... although sometimes I use stock (veggie or chicken depending on my mood). I also used one can of rinsed Black beans. I sometimes use cilantro and jalepenos as well. Top with sour cream and cheese and tortilla chips.. yummy!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 4:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?s_type=%2Frecipes.php&q=chili&Search=Search&Searcht=Search

about 4,000 chili recipes

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2008