My son is 16 mon and he refuses to drink out of his sippy cup he has a fit we have tried everything can anyone give me some advice.

desiraee20

Asked by desiraee20 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my son (who is now off all bottles YAY) who is 13 months, he always wanted to drink what we drank, so we would put a straw in our drink, and for a little hwile he didnt catch on how to drink out of it until one day, he was like ok mom i can drink out of a straw now, and then we bought the sippy cups with the straw in them. Then we took away his lunch bottle first. Then we took away his morning bottle, then we took away this night time bottle, and now he just drinks with meals and when hes thirsty. :) hope this helps
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 12:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Don't give him a choice. If he is wanting bottles then throw them all in the trash and tell him "bye-bye bottles" and that he is a big boy. If he still doesn't like the sippy then switch him to regular cups or ones with straws.
    My youngest daughter has been drinking from a kid sized cup since she was 15/16 months old and we tossed all the sippies before she turned 2. She even learned to fill her own cup up from the fridge dispenser when she was like 20 months old.
    He'll drink when he's thirsty enough.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2008