How to stop beating your self up inside?

Im an intelligent woman, but for some reason my brain doesnt want to cooperate with me. LOL> Meaning if I think I messed something up, said the wrong thing, or even do the wrong thing, I will beat myself up for days on end. I know Im human and make mistakes, but how do I re program my brain to stop self bashing myself??
Any ideas??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Relationships

• I wish i had some advice for ya.. I'm the same way as YOU!! Good luck!! :)
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 12:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• talk therapy. i've found out on my own that it's not good for your health to do that.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 12:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Seems there's a lot of us like that... I go over a conversation for days trying to figure out how many ways they could've taken what I said, or what I should've said or what they said... months later I sometimes go back and try to rethink it some more but I can't remember what that actual conversation was because I went over it at so many angles which is prolly a blessing to not know how stupid I may have sounded lol
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 1:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• That's called rumination. There are things you can do. Look it up on the internet but one of the things I remember is to break the thought ...such as when it starts, turn on the radio and get your mind off of what you were thinking. Another is to talk aloud about anything other than what you were thinking. There are more. If you want to just use logic, it's all in the past. You can't change it. If you can program your brain to do it, let it go and move on. I ruminate a lot so I know that one isn't easy!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Have you been to therapy? I know I've always told myself that people care much more about themselves than they do other people, so something you may have said or done that seems like a big deal to you, probably barely fazed the person you were talking to. People are generally way too self-involved to dwell on the things you're beating yourself up over. Time and time again I have been proven right.
    Anonymous