How do you know you're ready to get married and if he's the right one?

mommyof0484

Asked by mommyof0484 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Relationships

• it sounds weird but you just know its like you dont ever feel a regret and you just know its right.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• You wouldn't have to question it
    Anonymous

• I am not sure how much help I can be to your question, but, honey, sometime there wont ever be the right time to get married. I got married right out of college and everybody told me it was too soon and not the right time but What is right? You just have to define your own terms of "right." Go with what your heart is telling you. If I have waited for the right time to get married, perhaps, I would never be married. Personally, I dont believe theres such thing as "Mr right." People choose who they want to love and how much work they are willing to put into it. Love takes time and understanding.
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• PS. We are all humans we dont know until we take risks.
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• This may sound weird but I had a feeling of "ahh" like the feeling when you first step into a hot bath, or curl up under some warm covers on a cool evening. We'd been together just 2 months short of 6 years when we got married. It was this sense of "its about damn time." But marriage isn't just about finding the right guy. Once you have him, you have to work at it. Thats why i'm glad we dated so long we had time to figure out fighting fair, communication, and one thing in our favor was that we had realistic ideas about marriage. I"m 22, DH 23, and we've figured out things it takes older couples YEARS to work out.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Like the others have said...Its a feeling. You just know, its hard to explain. My husband asked me to marry him after 3 months of seeing each other...it was right for me and he is right for me. I have friends that thier husbands waited a couple years to ask them to marry them, It was right for them. I have friends that have been together for 5 years, neither are interested in marriage yet but that is right for them.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I think that you have found the one when it's more about how he makes you feel about yourself and not just how you feel about him. My husband makes me love myself in new and better ways all of the time. I love the reflection of myself in his eyes and that is how I knew he was the one for me.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 1:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• micrespo - that is a beautiful answer. I think every relationship is different as far as timing and what they bring from their past. But the bottom line is how you feel in your heart and how they make you feel about life. If you can't imagine your life without them in it - there is an excellent chance that you will be in each other's life forever.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• hubby and i "dated" (had sex) for a month and a half before we got married, nine years later we still love each other deeply
    can you picture yourself laughing at each other fifty years later as your bodies fall apart?
    does his morning breath make you gag but you kiss him anyways?
    its questions like these that make him the "right" one
    if yes, then go for it
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 2:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• When my Dh and I were talking about getting married in the abstract (before it was ever a reality) it used to freak me out. While I"ve always had long-term bf's, I just never pictured myself as a wife. Marriage seemed so...scary and permanent. But then when we moved in together and it became more of a reality, I never questioned it. I just knew it was the right decision. It doesn't help that single friends run around quoting divorce rates and such, but you will know if it is the right choice. If you have any real doubts (don't trust him, etc.) it's a bad idea, but if you're just doing some heatlhy questioning, I think you will find that all those fears go away once u make up your mind. I have been married almost two years now and have never been happier.
    Anonymous