Co-Sleeping

What are your views on co-sleeping?

I have a queen sized bed and I co-sleep with my son...Although, I have no choice right now because I am without a crib. I know that pedi's say not to co-sleep because of the danger of rolling over onthem and whatever. I do not move when I sleep, because some innate, maternal instinct I know he is in bed. Also, he sleeps on one side of the bed surrounded by pillows so he can not go anywhere and I sleep on the other side with a pillow between us.

I do not want an bashing, or anyone telling me I am a bad mom because I co-sleep. I just want to here what you think of co-sleeping. If you have something rude to say keep it to yourself because I do not want to hear it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You know what I've always wondered about co-sleeping? (I could have just asked my neighbor who does it, but haven't gotten around to it): Do you have to wait to put your child to bed when you go to bed? My neighbor's son is 15 months old. How does that work? Can they only sleep when you sleep? What about naps? I just think it seems inconvenient...
    Sometimes I wish our 14 month old would snuggle with us, but she won't sleep with us. She did every now and then when she was tiny.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 1:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My son slept with me till he was 3 and i finally had to kick him out of my bed lol i dont see anything wrong with it im sure i let my son sleep with us way longer then he should have been it was a bad habbit i started lol.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I am not going to bash you because I am doing the same thing with my son who is 4 months. I think that is fine. I have a crib but he wont sleep in it. He has to be next to me n now I cannot sleep without him next to me. I dont care what people are going to say but I love sleeping next to my son. I tell my husband sometime to sleep on the couch. LOL.The three of us share a king size bed. It is easier for him to stay in bed with us rather than in his crib because I breastfeed him and i work.
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Is it just you and baby in bed? I think I would have ended up co-sleeping if that were the case here.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 1:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My hubby works outta town so i co-sleep with my 14 month old daughter...so Im right there with u sweetie....I like to cuddle with her :-) She makes a better cuddle partner rather than my hubby.....
    Anonymous

• There is NOTHING wrong with co sleeping as long as you take precautions. WE CO SLEEP. We love it. Our 4 yr old still sleeps with us ocassionally.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I don't think there is anything wrong with co sleeping if the circumstances are right. A mom/dad in a full bed with a baby is probably not a good idea. Mom in a twin bed with a newborn probably isn't a good idea. My daughter slept right next to our bed in a bassinet. We had a full bed at that time and it just wasn't a safe idea to have her in bed with us. But if we had a larger bed I absolutely would of slept with her!

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My views are that it's not safe and it's not for me... I've tried napping with my baby, I can't do it, I'm too worried he will roll over or smash his face into my pillow.
    And while you are trying to make your bed a safe place, to me the pillows sound like a hazard. I think your bed would be safer without them.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I LOVE co-sleeping! Obviously, as with crib sleeping, there are precautions one must take. When my son arrived, it just made life so much easier. Night time feedings were a breeze and I did not have to stumble out of bed to feed him. When putting him to bed, I'd either nurse or lay with him and once he was asleep: I'd leave the room and do chores. He's been able to sleep on his own for quite some time now. He's ready for his big boy bed...I think I'm the one stalling the process!
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i guess if u have no crib and no other options then u have to. but i would never cosleep just cuz i dont want to start my baby on the habit of thinking my bed is his bed and then never getting him to sleep on his own til hes 6... i dont want to have to break a toddler of the habit so im just not gonna start it ever. i also don't think i could completely relax to sleep hard because there is always going to be that nagging in ur mind of dont roll over and squish him is he suffocating is he ok. i just wanna sleep and know that the baby is safe in the bassinet or crib
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2008