Adhd meds Please Help ...

My son is 11 yrs old and im going round and round with his moods and behavior . Im in a loop hole and dont know what to do i dont want to put him back on Adderal xr cause of the Meth part now my dr is talking about putting him on Depakote.He has him on Clonidine right now he took his first dose today and he fell asleep in school he takes 0.05mg of it .. I need help please

Kellykool1976

Asked by Kellykool1976 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Why is he taking Clonidine during the day? I thought it was a BP medication that was used off-label to help ADHDers with sleep.
    Anonymous

• he should be taking it at night if it makes him tired BUT its not to help w/ sleep it is for the attention aspect of ADHD. There are other meds available that are non stimulants but dont cause drowsiness such as Straterra.
    Anonymous

• My dr told me they use it to help his moods thats why hes on a very very low dose .
    Kellykool1976

Answer by Kellykool1976 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Clonodine and Depakote are mainly used as seizure medications. My son is on Adderall XR and if your son gets too much then he will exhibit behaviors that would need other medications to stabilize his mood, which is not good. You might think of lowering his Adderall XR dosage and give it a few months for his body to adjust to the meds. Otherwise, he will be a zombie on the other stuff and that is not fair. My son BTW suffers from ADHD, BiPolar, ODD, ICD and is currently on 4 different medications, but he is stable now and it helps him. He was at his worst when he was getting too much Adderall XR. We lowered it and he got better. He now is on Adderall XR, Prozac, Zyprexa and Lithium. I don't like it at all, but for him he is so much better now. He has gone from failing all classes and is now getting A's and B's.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• He has been on Straterra and it dont work
    Kellykool1976

Answer by Kellykool1976 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• The key is to not depend on the medication alone. You need to keep up with him daily at his school, keep in constant contact with his teacher and have him see a therapist regularly, no less than 2x's a month.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• He use to take 20mg of Adderall xr any lower then that and it dont work
    Kellykool1976

Answer by Kellykool1976 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Im always keping up at school he also has a Mental health case worker that we just started
    Kellykool1976

Answer by Kellykool1976 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Clonodine and Depakote should only be given at bedtime. I had my son on Concerta and then on Straterra. They did not work for him, but everyone is different. I would not be giving him the others during the day. I would talk to your doctor about that.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Concerta and Straterra he has also tooken I have talked with his dr this is what hes telling me So i thought i would get someone elses Opinion
    Kellykool1976

Answer by Kellykool1976 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2008