Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 16 yr. old daughter and 16 yr. old nephew are flying solo this week !

Neither have a driver's license yet...what form of ID should they have with them to get through security? A birth cert. or student ID...maybe both?


Asked by anichols1 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 17, 2011 in Travel

Level 20 (10,058 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • My son flies here to see me a few times a year. He's thirteen. He comes alone. You don't need anything. The person who purchased the ticket must mention it at the point of sale. They usually have me sign for him like a package too.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:10 AM on Jul. 17, 2011

  • You can call the airport & they will tell you exactly what you need. I would def send them with their student ID's to have on them wherever it is they go just in case.

    Answer by Mel30248 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 17, 2011

  • A birth certificate should be fine. They may want to consider getting an ID. It looks just like a driver's license but at the bottom it says "ID Only".

    Answer by JeremysMom at 10:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2011

  • Passport will work.

    Answer by louise2 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2011

  • Passport or an ID issued by police.

    Answer by older at 10:10 AM on Jul. 17, 2011

  • call the airport or look at their webpage they will tell you all the important things your kids will need to fly... being solo and underage they should carry some form of ID with them if not for the plane, then in case of emergencies, etc.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:02 AM on Jul. 17, 2011

  • My brother and I flew all the time and never had to have an ID, of course mom, who was checking us in, had to have one. But the rules might have changed since then. I would call the airport and ask if you aren't sure.

    Answer by countrygirl06 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2011