How much talking should a 21 month old be doing?

Mine will only say one word and sometimes doesnt say it right?

jzmommy10

Asked by jzmommy10 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can try to play word games. Ask lots of questions, and just wait to see if they can answer. I would start pointing things out around the house that would be in daily vocab. "Where do you want to sit? the sofa (pointing to sofa), the chair" Practicing the alphabet. It could just be that they are feeling shy about talking. Do they have any siblings, or friends close in their age? Setting up a play date would be great so they learn to socialize. Often first or only children can be a little slower to start with vocabulary and socializing than others. I think that just talking ALOT around your child will help them develop a rich vocab. And make sure to give them plenty of opportunities to talk to!
    Check out this website, it can be helpful with some communication ideas :) http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/communication/comm_2_to_3.html Good luck!!! :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 2:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• Call your local early intervention and request a free developmental evaluation. They will let you know whether or not there is a delay. If there is, then they will offer free or very low cost therapy; if there isn't, then you have peace of mind. It cost nothing and it's SO important to catch delays early. Pediatricians are usually fairly useless in this area (in all fairness, they don't see a child for long at a time so they generally rely on parent concerns) , although they are getting better

Answer by missanc at 4:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• My son didn't start speaking in full sentences until he was 2, but my daughter has been speaking in full sentences since she was 17 months. All babies are different.
    mommydinasaur

Answer by mommydinasaur at 2:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• My children were very different. I thought my son would never say anything and today at 4 he never stops talking. My daughter was born talking and talks constantly. She said way more than my son did. Mention it to your pediatrician. He will know the signs if anything is to be concerned about. Some children don't start as early as others. I don't believe that every child is the same and I don't believe there is a right age to do certain things. I think my first child spoke later because he was the first and I think my second spoke sooner because she had someone to "chat" with whether it be baby talk or first words. Don't let others worry you about it either, my mom insisted that something was wrong with my son because he didn't talk as much as he should at that age. He is fine and very intelligent for his age.
    trendy2

Answer by trendy2 at 9:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• A child that age should be able to put together 2-5 word sentences. They should have a vocabulary of between 30 and 50 words at least. Has your pediatrician mentioned anything about the lack of talking?
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 2:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• Pedi hasnt mentioned anything, what should I do?
    jzmommy10

Comment by jzmommy10 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• my dd is 22 months and is already trying to put sentences together. but you also have to keep in mind that every child is different. if your still worried about it talk to their dr
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• He has an older brother who talks very good, hes 5 years old
    jzmommy10

Comment by jzmommy10 (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• 2 word sentences
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• My son is 23 months and can speak a few words and most of them still jumbled. he does still use his baby language.... ALOT. My pedi hasn't mentioned anything about there being a problem. He says just practice and ask him to repeat everything as much as possible. Don't let any one scare you. Kids take their own time to do everything. Everyone is different. If you are nervous head to early intervention. Thats my plan after his 2nd birthday. Good luck.
    starlit_kissez

Answer by starlit_kissez at 11:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2011