How do i get my 13 month old to understand what no means? Is he to young to know?

juggalettes

Asked by juggalettes at 5:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• People will tell you that he can't understand but that isn't entirely true, he can grasp the concept that he shouldn't do certain things, we develop that very quickly for the sake of self-preservation. Try to use the word "no" infrequently. Physically moving him away from doing the action you want him to stop is best (for example move his hand away from the window he is hitting). Explain to him why you want him to stop though he won't understand immediately you will be in the habit of doing it & one day the light will come on & he will get it. It will take awhile for him to understand that you are trying to get him not to repeat some action, but he will get it.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• i don't think he's 2 young at all. but it also depends on the circumstances as 2 why ur saying no. it's kind of like when dealing with a puppy. if they're doing something bad, i.e. chewing on something or just getting in2 something they shouldn't b, u take it away, or remove the puppy from the area and in a firm, but mellow voice, say no, then give them something else 2 play with, or play with them urself. not that a baby and puppy r exactly alike, but i hope u get my point. that's what i did with my son, and now do wit my puppy. it seemed 2 work well 4 both of them.
    Anonymous

• I just used the word no, only when it was something i really neede him to not be doing. if you use it to often he'll start to tune you out. also i just put things higher up, or put them away until my kids became alittle older. it was easier than saying no all the time. hope this helps
    kristyann

Answer by kristyann at 6:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• use a really deep voice,that works for mine.only use no in the deep voice.
    luna74

Answer by luna74 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• He is not too young to understand "no" and what it really means. Everytime you say no, you have to get his attention first, eyes contact. Say no and stop what he is doing right away, so he knows you mean stop , not to do it.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Tell him "no no" when he's doing something & then move him away from whatever it is that he's doing wrong. Also, look him in the eye and use a pretty firm voice. If he's doing something dangerous (touching outlets or stove, pulling dogs tail) then you could also give him a little slap on the hand.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• my son is 2 and no at first was like ok he walked away, but then he started coming back after you said no thinking it was fun, my friend's father told me say no once and when he comes back ignore him ( unless what he is doing would put him in danger), I did that and am still doing it and it has worked! good luck
    sillybabys

Answer by sillybabys at 1:03 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• my 14 mo daughter understands that she isn't supposed to do certain things. (such as rip the books off the bookshelf) i just always told her "no-no" and shook my finger at her. now she will walk over there and shake her little finger at it and say no-no and start clapping. some kids listen better than others, though if they don't it's not to annoy you. usually just because it's amusing to them to get a reaction out of you. hopefully it'll all work out for you and you will find something that will work for your son!
    KotaBug

Answer by KotaBug at 2:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• no he is not 2 young. when he does something so "no in a bold voice. when he liens start clapping'yeah good boy'.
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2008