Car Seat for 3 year olds?

What car seat do you/did you/will you use for 3 year olds? My girls are 3.5 and are soon to grow out of their car seats. What would you reccomend for 3.5 year olds who both weigh 32 pounds and are both(approx) 39 inches tall?

1plustwinsmommy

Asked by 1plustwinsmommy at 4:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• maybe they should be in booster seats, or convertible seats -car seats that convert to booster depending on age and weight. Google "child seat requirements" for your state.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 4:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• My son is three and I use an Evenflo Maestro.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• Convertable seats do not convert into booster seats, they "convert" from a rear facing seat into a forward facing seat. A combination seat is a forward facing only seat that can be used as a booster. That being said, the minimum for a booster is 4 yrs and 40 lbs.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• My 3 yr old and 4 yr old are both in 5-point harness Graco Nautilus-es.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 4:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• We got something like this, just not quite so much pink for our daughter when she turned 3.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• I have a Safety First CONVERTABLE car seat that converts from rear facing, forward facing and then booster seat. My son is 31 lbs and is about 2 inches away from growing out of the harness. It has seat belt adjusters on the side for the seatbelt to make sure it goes across the chest and not the chest. Its a high back booster seat in the end.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• What you have is called a 3 in 1. They have really low harness slots and make really unsafe boosters.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• How could it make an unsafe booster? And my harness goes up higher then any other car seat I have found. I have a latch system in my car, so I secure the booster seat to the car and then buckle my son into the seat(when he is large enough for that).

You are right, it is a 3 in 1.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• They make crappy boosters because they don't position the seat belt well on the child. They put the lap belt up high on the belly and the shoulder belt on the neck or the arm. When a wreck happens the lap belt crushes the child's internal organs. Sometimes the shoulder belt can strangle the child.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• Mine has an adjuster for the seat belt, and I would have check the lower abdomen side of the belt,(like i said my son is too small for the booster seat still). I'll remember what you said and check to see next time I put him in the car where it would all fall if he was using the booster.

I looked at the seat that you recommended and don't see any difference then in mine... in case you didn't know there is a voluntary recall on some models of the Evenflo Maestro.    http://safety.evenflo.com/cs/sc/cssc99_RD.phtml?rid=EFR30&src=WEB

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2011