Is 102 temp high for a 2 1/2 year old when he normally runs 97?

My son started out with a temp of 100.7 last night. So, I didnt think too much about it, but then today it is up to 102. Should I call the doc?

mreynolds1977

Asked by mreynolds1977 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 102 is a high temp for anyone. did you give him any medicine to see if it went down first? If not try that and check his temp an hour later and if it does nothing or goes higher then call the doctor
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• 102 is not particularly high in my opinion. And fever is the body's way of fighting infection.

You can give a dose of fever reliever like tylenol or motrin and see if it goes down a little. The most important thing, especially in summer, is to keep the patient hydrated. Ices, frozen juice pops, popsicles, water.

If he isn't better in the morning, then call the doctor. My doctor has a 3 day rule, unless there is something obviously really wrong like strep, the flu or an ear infection or the child is lethargic and unresponsive.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• not high until 105, alternate motrin/tylenol every 2 hours
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• My pediatrician says any temp over 101 call the doctor immediately. Get some real medical advice. Some of these Moms--I don't know what to say. A temp of 105 in a 2 1/2 yr old can be fatal. Take your baby to the doctor/clinic/er, please.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 6:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• You can give mortin and tylenol alternated, every few hours. Does he have any other symptoms? My little ones liked having a wet cool wash cloth on the back of their neck and on thier forhead.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• He just started to lay around, but other than that he has no other symptoms. I gave him motrin 45 min ago, so I was going to check it again in 15min. I was kinda thinking that maybe he was still trying to get his 2 year molars in, but he said his mouth does not hurt.
    mreynolds1977

Comment by mreynolds1977 (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• he was just there and they were on worried at 104, found out what it was and dealt with it!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• sorry "not" worried at 104 and he is 2
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• No, infants can run higher temps then adult, without it being serious like it is when adults have high temps. The body is doing what it needs to do, the best for child is to keep them comfortable & let fever fight for the bodies health.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 7:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• 102 is NOT a high temperature. 100.7 isn't even a high temperature - as a person's body temperature can be up to 100 at night.

Keep him hydrated and give him Tylenol/Motrin for relief of any discomfort. Watch for other symptoms.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 7:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2011