Mission trips

Have you ever gone on or looked into going on a mission trip with your kids? Or sending them on one?
I’m thinking, next summer to go on one. Anyone know of a good organization to look into? I’ve looked on line several times, but there is so much to choose from… And they all seem to say the same things, so I’m looking for a reference, I guess.
It would be a great way to go see another state and teach my kids about helping others.

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2011 in Travel

• Most churchs put together trips, you could start with your church.
    I was involved with the flying samaritans. Volunteer pilots, drs, nurses, dentists, translators, helpers to remote villages in Mexico and open a weekend clinic for free. Do you have any special talents? Speaking another language?
    Try to find out what kind of service you want to help with, homeless dinners, clinics, habitat for humanity type projects, and search the net for some local ones you can actually go INTO an office and talk to someone.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• i have been to mexican vilages, helping build homes/plumbing/etc. hard work!
    my dh has done medical missions in south america, providing pharmacist-services for doctors/clinics.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• I went on a few of them as a teen. I went with my church, so I am sure you could look into local churches and see what or where they are going.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• My children go through our church's youth group. They do ASP -http://asphome.org/ - Appalachia Service Project.  ASP is a foundation that goes in and rehabs homes for the extreme poor in the Appalachin mountains in TN, VA, W.VA, and KY.  

My children haven't been able to go in a couple of years due to band commitments with school, but church youth groups are a great resource for mission trips.  Our youth do ASP and go to Haiti every summer.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• *villages*
    dullscissors

• I have been on 5 mission trips- 3 stateside and 2 international trips. The stateside trips I went with Constructors for Christ. We helped with building a church's first building or by adding on to their original building. We also did community activities. On the international trips I went with International Mission Board (They have since changed their name). When I went to Ukraine with them, we did community outreach, helping the church members, and doing repairs to the church. When we went to Costa Rica, our focus was community outreach and doing a Vacation Bible School. There are many mission organizations and it really depends on how you want to serve.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• I never went on one but would love to go. Our church recently sponsered a trip to El Savadore
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 12:53 AM on Jul. 18, 2011

• I don't know, if I'd want to travel outside the U.S....
    SassySue123

Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 12:55 AM on Jul. 18, 2011

• I wouldnt go down there now! Thats for sure..
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:58 AM on Jul. 18, 2011

• I've gone with my church to Mexico. It was truly an experience.

B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 8:30 AM on Jul. 18, 2011