What can you do to comfort a cat that's dying?

They say cats are seniors by age 7. Mine is over 14. I know she's dying. All of her life she was fat. Then she began losing weight. I figured it was because I had a life threatening illness and she hated seeing my nearly die a few times! Well because of this life threatening illness. I have no income and haven't for some time. My own DH lost his job and well we are hard pressed. The cats always got good food, love and care. They're our fur kids! She today no longer wants to eat or drink no matter how much I tempt her with anything! I feel if she dies I will too. I'm so fragile right now. So down on our luck! No help. We live in the country. So no help for a shelter or vet. Without payment First! A cat that lived here died this year from Cancer too. The vet bills were beyond the roof. Is there anything I can do to comfort this cat? Anything! I know I'm not seeing any signs of pain. But I wish for this to not be happening. I don't know how to Live without my Buddy? What can I do? Anything? Stress is so bad for me. I'm weeping all of the time. I love my Cat. Any tips or ideas? Anything at all? And this heat is so hot here. My cat wants to go outside and its too hot. But I want her to do as she pleases. Ever deal with this? What would you do? I have no family or friends that can help. Any fairy God mothers for cats?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2011 in Pets

• So sorry :( I love my furbaby too! Just love her and comfort her the best you can. She'll go when she's ready.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• Without being seen by a vet you can't be sure what is going on but  at that age there are several diseases that can cause the symptoms you described. if you can't afford to have blood work done then you might want to talk to the vet about euthenizing the cat.  You said that she is not in pain and she may not be at this point but cats are very good at hiding their pain from us. I had a cat that hid her pain possibly for months.  She stopped eating the last week of her life and was just not herself and they did an ultrasound after doing a physical exam and felt a tumor. The tumor was so big it was pushing her organs over. It turned out to be intestinal lymphoma  I hope I am not sounding heartless by suggesting that but if the cat is truly sick I would hate for her to suffer. I know how hard is is to see them in pain. I have lost several of mine and I hated having to face this part of their lives.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• Shortly after our cat turned 14 he started eating less and less and lost a lot of weight. Then he began to urinate all over the house. We found out he had a urinary tract infection and diabetes. After getting both in control he is doing great and has gained all the wait back. he is now 15.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• We had three cats over the past couple of years that we had to just wait for them to die. Kalee had cancer, Josey had cancer, and Misti had renal failure...all we knew would die the night that they did. What we did was make them a comfortable place to lay and basically leave them alone. WE want to hug and cuddle and pet and talk to them...THEY do not want that. If she wants outside, I would let her outside and just make sure she's in a shaded area. I'm so sorry. :-(
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:22 AM on Jul. 18, 2011

• I would suggest letting the animal go in her own way and time ~ you will grieve but always remember your fur baby.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2011