How do you keep your teenagers from sneaking out at night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You could put bars on the windows! Oh, and the doors! Sure it will keep you from getting out of your house when there's a fire, but, it will keep the teenagers from sneaking out! Seriously, I really have no idea.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 8:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• I don't know that you'd want to do this, but I'll tell you anyway. When my brother used to sneak out of the house, my parents removed the door to his bedroom. It worked pretty well for them lol!
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 8:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• My kids arent at that age yet. but if i found out there sneeking out i think its time for an alarm.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• That seems to be the answer I got when I asked What is a good punishment for a teen the sneaked out. Lots of people want to take their door off their room. Seems to me that would make it easier for them to leave? Sure I get the earn your privacy thing and all, but if I'm asleep and there is no door on their room, wouldn't they just walk through it, then I've missed one opportunity to have been woken up? Our teen did sneak out and we did have the door chime still set. We must have been sleeping pretty hard because neither of us heard it. So, if you figure it out, let me know.
    wagners7

Answer by wagners7 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• A house alarm that covers exit doors and all windows. Set every night before I went to bed. My youngest thought he's try the Edddie Murphy trick from Beverly Hills Cop..didn't work and he got busted. It was THE best $150 bucks we ever spent.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• I'm usually up pretty late, so I'd see them. My son's room is in the 4th floor attic, so there's no way he's climbing out of there!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• I should have clarified..we got the alarm specifically to stop the sneaking out. He jokes now (24) about being kept in 'lock-up' every night. We look at him and say "Oh, I forgot..who broke trust first?"...It gets dropped.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• honestly? I was the teen that snuck out. The alarm will not work unless you are in a position where you can keep the code from them. I had to let me, my brother and sister in the house after school since both parents worked until six so I had the code and house keys. I would shut off the alarm, go out the back door and lock it behind me, wander until 4:00 (two hours before my dad woke up every morning) and then come back in, turn the alarm back on and go in the bathroom for a few minutes so if anyone came down I can say I woke up and had to go. I did it for three years and never got caught. Do you have a reason to think your kids are sneaking out? If you think they are, set yourself an alarm for midnight, 1AM, etc. and check the rooms. If they are missing, wait in the living room to confront them when they get home. Take their door, ground them. Take them to and from school and require confirmation from a teacher if they are-
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• -staying after and what time they'll be done. Make them earn your trust back. Before any of this though, talk to your kids about why it's dangerous to sneak out at night. Make them aware of the danger and that they are not as invincible as they think they are. Sometimes, just letting them know what can happen and that there are good reasons behind your rules is all it takes for them to respect them. I was always told "because it's my house and you'll do what I say!" Also, if you think your child is sneaking out that could be fixed by giving them a little more freedom. Maybe extend their curfew a bit, allow them to earn spending money if you don't already, give them more places they're allowed to go with friends. Better to make a few compromises and know where they are and that they are safe and will get home safe.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• I've tried both. as for the alarm it got expensive having them come out and replace the sensors. And I sleep through everything, so I don't even no when they come and go half the time. Any other suggestions?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2011