I'm an artist but...

I can only draw with graphite. That's what I've spent my time on learning is graphite and nothing else. Now I'm getting bored of it and I want to try charcoal. Any tips?

3Smiths

Asked by 3Smiths at 2:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• try it! what can it hurt?
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 5:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• YOU are the artist. Not the medium. Try Charcoal The same basic design principles apply. Charcoals only cost like 10 bucks....go for it!!!
    CocoMason

Answer by CocoMason at 11:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I loved charcoal. you can always try it and you may find you like it more than you realize... it is very easy to shade with it. good luck and keep it up
    augustmommy08

Answer by augustmommy08 at 10:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Yes, try charcoal, they come in pencil form as well. It's messy but what artist doesn't ever get their hands dirty? I do print making, and I love it. I love charcoal as well!!
    missnerisita

Answer by missnerisita at 10:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I would suggest getting the Charcoal pencils from Prismacolors, you will also need to purchase Workable Fixative, it fixes the charcoal so that it doesn't smear, and you can still work on the picture once its sprayed... You also may look into getting some paper specifically designed for Charcoal, it has a nice texture...
    Basically the rest is up to you, you can apply as heavy or as lightly as you like.
    It is hard to get great detail with Charcoal, unlike graphite,
    I hope this helps.
    dk
    deenakate

Answer by deenakate at 6:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Being an artist takes practice at any medium you use. Remember though you are the Creator of Your Work, not your medium. Try other things too, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Enjoy and Create! Your work becomes a part of you and you always are learning something new about yourself and your art.
    jlaney

Answer by jlaney at 11:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2009