Help with ear infection

I just found out my 8 month old son has an outer ear infection. The doctor gave me ear drops for the pain and an antibiotic (ear drops as well). Any suggestions on how to get them in without making him quite so mad? I had to pin him with my legs so I could hold his head still with one hand and drops with the other. My husband is stationed far away right now so I'm essentially a single sahm, so trying to hold him still to get the ear drops in is proving to be quite a challenge!! If anyone knows anything that might make it a little easier to get the drops in and keep them in, I would be so grateful!!

Rachael420

Asked by Rachael420 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is always so hard! I had a long time when I felt so abusive giving medicine to my LO because the only way I managed was to pin him down. It didn't work for my LO, because he would never even take a pacifier, but if yours does, there's a medicine dispenser you can get at like Target or Walmart that has a mini bottle nipple on it.

For the ear drops it's easier, as long as it doesn't have to be at a certain time. Wait until he's asleep, then sneak them in. Gently turn his head for the other side. Depending on how often he naps, that's at least 3 times a day (right before he wakes in the morning, at least one nap, and then again at night).
    forgivenservant

Answer by forgivenservant at 2:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I lay my son on my lap, tummy down, pat his back for awhile and once he's calm I put them in. Then repeat with the other side. The key is to get them calm then do it!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 2:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Honestly, swaddle him in a large blanket, tightly. He'll get just as angry at you, but at least it will be over more quickly.
    Anonymous