What does ringworm look like, and can you get it from anything other than a cat?

I am fostering guniea pigs and I have this spot on my neck that I thought might be an allergic reaction, but I noticed it goes in a circle and looks like this () literally, but more round. It is a bit itchy and slightly raised. If it is ringworm, how do you get rid of it and what gets rid of it? If not, what could it be?

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Health

• Here is a link to a photo of ringworm from Mayo Clinic. 

The signs and symptoms of ringworm include:

• A circular rash on your skin that's red and inflamed around the edge and healthy looking in the middle

• Slightly raised expanding rings of red, scaly skin on your trunk or face

• A round, flat patch of itchy skin

More than one patch of ringworm may appear on your skin, and patches or red rings of rash may overlap. You can have tinea infection without having the common red ring of ringworm.

Answer by indigostone at 2:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• A ringworm is round. You can get it to contacting with a person who has ringworm, dogs, or at the gym.

Answer by aznblond9 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• you can get if from anywhere, any person, any animal. It isn't actually a worm but it is viral, it just takes shape as a round/ring worm.

• Can you only have just 1 or would you have many? I only have one spot. If it is viral, does that mean there is no cure?

• you can get it from cats mainly but you can catch it from others or other animals its hard to say where you got it it happens.
    The best thing i found that gets rid of it fast is Anti fungal cream that you can buy at wal mart its typically used for jock itch or athetiets foot. you just put a thin layer on 3 times a day.
    or you can Dilute bleech with water and dab a cotton ball in the bleach and water and then put it on the ring worm that to works well and drys it out fast.

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Ring worm can come from anywhere. I actually got it from my horse then gave it to my husband and cats. We used athletes foot cream to get rid of it. Athletes foot and ringworm are from the Tinea family of fungi. Our vet told us we can use it on the animals as well as long as the don't eat it. We used a very powerful anti-fungal from 1800petmeds first and it almost killed the kitties. But once we started using lotrimin AF it cleared up and no animals got sick.

Answer by RissaBusch at 2:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Ok, if it is possible that I got it from the foster guniea pigs I have, how can I tell if they have it? Is it also contagious, can my kids get it?

• Yes your kids can get it, if you think you have it you need to get in ASAP and been seen by a doctor.

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Anti fungal creams usually help, too, and they don't have to be prescribed by a doctor. Read the labels. Many of the creams out there are for athlete's foot, but that kind usually works on ringworm too. Although it looks gross it isn't really dangerous but it is highly passable which means you can pass it on through sharing towels and stuff like that. I have had it a couple times and the anti fungal creams designed for ringworm have always gotten rid of it. Usually within a week. If it doesn't clear up after a week, then go see a doctor.

Answer by chavela_carlita at 5:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Sounds like a ringworm to me. Put some tinactin on it, or if you know a smoker, you can also put ashes from cigarettes on it.

Answer by LolosMom at 5:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2008