Can starting a baby on cereal and other foods too soon give them allergies?

My son is almost 3 months old. He has alot pf trouble sleeping through the night. My SO says to give him cereal in his milk and it will keep him full and help him sleep. But my Doc. says not til he's 4 months. My mum says she started us on cereal at 2 months. Everyone says something diff. My co-worker says it can cause allergies. But another woman told me her son started at 2 weeks! Im worried hes not eating enough evevn though i breastfeed him every few hours. What do you think is best?

youngmum87

Asked by youngmum87 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my sons started at 2 months on cearl 4 months food.
    they dont have any allerigys
    i think if they have allergies they were going to have them either way.
    i dont have any and nither does my dh. we started eatting food at the same time my lo's did.
    you will get diff answers
    i was told mama knows best
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• The longer you delay the less likely they are to developed allergies. The biggest reason for starting them after 4 months, however, is because the swallowing reflex is not mature until then.

RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 2:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• don't put the cereal in his bottle. mix his formula with it and spoon feed him one or two spoons and then watch him for the next few days to make sure there is no allergic reaction. but keep him on the same cereal til you know he is okay with it
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I read that early introduction of cereal can cause allergies and eczema. I have a coworker who fed cereal at 3 months and her son has both ailments - coincidence ????I wouldn't take the risk

chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 2:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• YES. Yes, yes, YES! It definitely causes allergies and other dysfunctions. Does everyone have a problem? No. But that doesn't make it good! Book after book reiterates that putting cereal in the bottle does NOT help them to sleep better at all. 4 months is even too early for food for most children. Current research says 6 months at the earliest. 4 months is appropriate only for children with special needs (for instance, I have a friend who adopted a preemie from Ethiopia - she was severely underweight, and rice cereal was a necessity). At three months he shouldn't be sleeping through the night anyhow. Again, some babies may, but that doesn't mean it's normal!
    forgivenservant

Answer by forgivenservant at 2:51 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• It was common practice when I was a baby for cereal to be put in bottles, and allergies and obesity are epidemic in this generation. Coincidence?
    Anonymous

• Giving cereal to help him sleep won't work.... just give more milk.
    But with rice cereal some babys do start early, often times its because they have reflux problems. I think rice is pretty safe, many doctors suggest it for refulx in very young babies. BUT most people want to give other foods then too... which can lead to an increase in allergies.
    And the cereal sould be spoon fed, not in a bottle unless it's given for reflux and that would be as directed by a pediatrician.
    And at 3 months your baby probably won't be able to be spoon fed, he will push it back out with his tounge.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• current studies suggest yes.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Giving your baby cereal will not help him sleep better. Please read this article on why it's important to wait on solids:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 4:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I started my son on cereal when he was 2 months old and babyfood when he was 3 months old. Hell, my husband was started on mashed potatoes when he was 2 days old. The only allergy is my son is allergic to peanut butter. I don't believe that introducing food early increases one's chances of developing food allergies. It is only after we have started waiting that we are seeing such an increase in food allergies and the severity of them.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2008