Best dog breed with kids/toddlers?

We want to get a puppy for christmas but we aren't quite sure what kind. My dd is 13 months and has been around animals plenty so she is pretty well behaved with them. We live in an apartment so we're looking for something on the smaller side. We have a little gated area outside and I plan on walking the dog daily. If you have any reccomendations let me know!!
THANKS!

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 2:49 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• There are lots of breeds great with kids, but in my personal experience, we adopted a lab mix from the shelter that was 8 weeks old when we got him. He is wonderful with them, never agressive unless there is a stranger in the yard. The girls can put their hand right in his food dish when he eats and he doesn't care. They romp with him, pull his ears and tail, and he just takes it. Any lab or lab mix I have ever owned has been this way.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• lots of dogs are great with kids...it just depends on the dog itself. I personally prefer pit bulls....not many would agree with me but if you look at the history of the breed they were bred to be good with people. I have/had 3 that have been WONDERFUL with my kids.

What matters most is how the dog is raised....good luck on your search for a puppy!!
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• WE have a German Shepherd and a Chow Chow. They are great with our 2 1/2 yr old and 1 yr old. Our chow chow when our son was learning the pull up and walk she would actually stand there and let him pull on her fur to get up and stand there the whole time he was standing and if he went to move she would go with him. But I personally LOVE Golden Retrievers. And they are GREAT with kids. And loyal.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 3:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Since you are looking for Christmas this is a tough question. I am a former obedience instructor and have worked with about 200 different breeds. A smallish dog that is great with kids is VERY difficult to find, honestly. Typically, the large breeds are much better with children. The ONLY small breed I would even consider for a child that age is a Bichon Frise. It is a Spanish Breed that at maturity is approximately 20-25 lbs. They need lots of exercise, grooming and attention. However, they are ranked consistently in the top 10 breeds with children, hypo-allergenic- meaning when they shed, the hair goes back into the follicle...so no allergies. They are playful and sweet as well.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 4:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Well from personal experience German Shepherds are awesome with children... My husband does German Sheherd resue and the 2 we have are awesome with our boys.
    I have also had a collie, they are so gentle and very loyal. Ours would lay by the boys while they were playing and not move until they would get up. She was very motherly.
    cheryl4martin

Answer by cheryl4martin at 4:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i agree that pitbulls are great. a lot of ppl just give them a bad name also raise them badly. if you had a house i would of said a great dane! gentle giants. when we dog sit a friends great dane he d walk up to our son sitting in the highchair and they would be face to face just staring (like what are you kinda look lol) but he wouldnt lick his face or do anything bad. but since you want a small dog id say a beagle.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 4:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Continued....
    Check out www.akc.org and that will give you an idea of acceptable breeds for children that will fit with your family's lifestyle. It is vital that you research breeds for several months extensively before adopting or purchasing one.
    I love animals that have been in foster care in humane societies... the reason why is because a lot of times the dogs/cats have been around children before and the foster families can tell you all about that animal. We adopted our dog from a Humane Society( 1/2 Border Collie 1/2 German Shepherd) 12 years ago and she adores our 3 yr old and 4 month old. A good breeder is going to have a contract, health guarantee, etc...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 4:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I had a Bichon Frise. I love that breed - their coat is AWFUL to deal with, its like wool and knots terribly if you're not careful. But that is the only downside. They are loving, gentle, great with kids and a breed recognized as a loving family breed. Cocker Spaniels are also very loving with families. http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/best-dog-breed-for-children.html

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I have a pug she is so good with small children, toddlers, babies, and is a great lap dog. My niece loves her and takes her around every where. She is good on a leash, she is good off of a leash, will sleep on the floor near you or in your bed.
    Never one time has nipped or anything. She is so gentle and sweet. My Boston Terrier is terrified of children and runs to the crate when over whelmed with kids. She also nipped at me. I smacked her a good one and she never did it again. I vote for pug.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My parents had German Shepards (4 of them) when I was born and then 2 Keshounds later on when I was older. All of them were GREAT dogs very protective and over all good dogs never any problems but one shepard weighed over 200 lbs and wanted to be a lap good !!
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 6:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2008