I am a Christian trying to understand the bible, Questions?

I never went to church, but I have always had faith. I just started researching religions and came across some questions.

Are women excluded from positions of authority in some churches?

'Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."—Genesis 3:16
Does you church preach that your husband should rule over you?

Do the Ten Commandments proclaim wives to be their husband's property?
My interpretation is, perhaps
the head of the woman is the man" (1 Corinthians 11:3)
Do Mormon's believe that a woman cannot access Heaven alone?(read this on on the internet)
I am not trying to make drama, Iam geniunely confused.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• The husband is the head of the household, so for example, if there is a big decision he has to make for his family, like choosing a job where they would have to move out of state, he's the one that makes the decision. yes, you talk about it together, but in the end, it all falls upon his shoulders for the decision. as the wife, you should stand by him and support his decision.
    as for the churches question, I believe that Women can be preachers, not pastors. pastors pastor a church, they are the shephard guiding the sheep. a preacher just goes around and preaches God's word. a preacher can be a man or a woman.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• We had a woman pastor in our church and everyone was really upset by it. She stayed strong for quite some time and then finally stepped down. After that I questioned my faith and now I take what I like from various religions and dismiss the rest. People think this is crazy of me, but I too became very confused with all of the words and rules.
    Anonymous

• Well it's not "Rule Over" as in being mean and heavy handed but that he is to take the lead in the care of his family both Physically, Emotionally and Spiritually, he is to bare the responsibility for the welfare of the family, that is not to say that he can't delegate to his wife the care of bills or other things if she is better at that.

husbands are head over their wifes Eph 5:23 as Christ is head over the Christian Congregations Col 1:18 just as God is head over the Christ. 1 Cor 15:28

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I dont know about what all of you believe but as a Catholic we believe that the primary purpose of a marriage is to get each other to Heaven. The role of the wife is to love, honer respect, and live her life the church's way so she can get her husband to Heaven...that is her main duty as a wife get her husband to heaven vice versa. The husband is the head of the house and that does not mean he can rule over her. The husband must love his wife as Jesus loves His Church!!!!!!!!!!!!
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• It is evident from the Bible record that God’s original purpose was for the man to be the head of his family and that the wife be in subjection to her husband.

Before Eve was created, Jehovah stated: “It is not good for the man to continue by himself. I am going to make a helper for him, as a complement of him.” (Gen. 2:18) The man, therefore, would have the primary responsibility in the family and the woman would help him.

The apostle Paul, at 1 Timothy 2:11-14, refers to Adam’s being created first, in showing that women in the Christian congregation should be in subjection to the men as overseers and that the woman should not “exercise authority over a man.” Why? “For Adam was formed first, then Eve. Also, Adam was not deceived, but the woman was thoroughly deceived and came to be in transgression.”
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I have a GREAT book I'd like to suggest that really puts the woman's role into a very understandable perspective. It helped me to see and understand things in a new light. It's written for wives and is a really awesome book. If you're interested in knowing the title send me a message =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 3:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• First: Are women excluded from positions of authority in some churches? Read I Timothy 2:9-15.
    I feel women can hold a position in Children's Ministry. And even younger girls. But, teen boys and older..no. That should be a man's role. Because of the age and what is proper.

Second: Do the Ten Commandments proclaim wives to be their husband's property? No the ten commandments don't say that wives are the husband's property. Read Eph. 5:21-33 As Christ is Head of the Church, the husband is head of the house. And as wive we should be submissive to he's leading. This doesn't mean we are door mats. Husbands will be held accountable for leading the home spiritually.

heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Ok the whole submission thing has been so distorted by society. No my church definitely does not preach that my husband rules over me. My church teaches that my husband is the most important person in my life and I in his, under Jesus of course. It says that I am my husband's most important counsel and that he should love me as Christ loved the church and Christ DIED for the church. So what does that tell you? Your husband should put you first, even if that means he would die for you. I'm really bad at explaining this stuff, but I'd be willing to help you more, if you want to message me. Here are two books that explain this stuff beautifully: Love & Respect bye Emerson Eggerichs and Becoming the Woman of His Dreams by Sharon Jaynes.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• 1st ?: YES there are! i went to a church that fired a deaf interpretor solely on the reasoning that she was female & "leading" the church. even tho she HAS to sign whatever the speaker says!! i really disagreed w/ that whole church. they had ALOT of issues w/ EVERYTHING haha

2nd ?: most other churches ive been to teach that the husband is supposed to take care of his family & lead them in the right way & be in charge. but that doesn't mean that the women is his slave! men & women/husbands & wives are equal, but have different roles in the family.

3rd ?: i dont remember anything in the 10 commandments about husbands & wives other than dont commit adultery.

4th ?: im not Mormon but ive never heard that before.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• First, if you study Genesis you will see that Eve came from Adam, hence the word WOman....or a man with a womb. Men were made to be the head of the household primarily because Adam was the one that God gave the orders to. That is why when Eve first took a bite of the forbidden fruit of Good and Evil, nothing happened but when Adam took a bite, they realized their nakedness.

Ephesians 5
    22Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. 223For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body... 25Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it...28So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself...33Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.
    floyd835

Answer by floyd835 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2008