Is it Vicks on the feet to help with a cough ?

I keep hearing about vick's on children's feet helps with a cough. Is that true? 2 of my children are sick and are coughing a lot. Anybody know and does it really work ?

Juann25

Asked by Juann25 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Health

• Yes, it really works!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I rub it on their backs. Never heard of feet. How could it help on your feet? My grandma always put it on my back & it helped.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 3:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• yup we do the chest, the back all around the neck and always the feet with sockies
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Old wives' tale...really.

That stuff will help with breathing and such with the vapors, but it's not going to take away a cold.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• no it won't get rid of a cold but it will help a child with a cough sleep
    foxymama21

Answer by foxymama21 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yes it works to take the cough away for the time being, not that it cures the cold though. But put socks on the feet too :) I do it to myself all the time, and so does my SO and both our familes :)
    shauna9909

Answer by shauna9909 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I've heard it works from EVERYONE who has tried it (kids and adults)...course it could be placebo effect LOL. I'm doubful, but I'm actually going to try it on myself tonight. I've also heard the one about cutting an onion in half. Put each half on the bottom of one foot and hold it in place with a sock (or two). the next day the onions are black on the side touching your feet, and the cold is gone (now that has to be an old wives tale)
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 5:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2008