• In the Spotlight:

What's going on with her vocabulary?

My 3 year old DD has a very extensive vocabulary, she started talking at 9 months. Now that she's started preschool, she's starting to talk like a baby "Me sit", "Me want drink".. she's NEVER EVER talked like this, and it's really annoying. How do I teach her that it's not the right way to talk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• gently correct her by saying it the way you prefer her to say it. eventually, she will go back to speaking normally. She is likely imitating another child or children at preschool. It will pass.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 3:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I would just say "What, I can't understand you?" And refuse to respond until she syas it the correct way. This worked with my little ones.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• This happened to my son right after he started preschool. This is really frustrating, but just kindly correct her and it will eventually pass-I promise you:)
    Anonymous

• My oldest regressed in his language skills when he started attending Headstart. It's one of the reasons none of my other boys will go attend headstart in this city.

I corrected him at home and talked to his teacher telling her what was going on. She said he was speaking on a normal 4 year old level. I politely informed her that he was not speaking on HIS 4 year old level and asked she correct him if she heard him speaking in an improper manner.

Talk to the teacher.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• The reason why she is talking like this is probably because other children in preschool probably talk that way. ie my younger sister began some strange behavior like biting and weird language when she began preschool. Jus tell her the nicest way possible that you do not understand babies or baby talk. The behavior should end after that.
    heather_84

Answer by heather_84 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2008