Do your kids get an allowance?

Recently mine were complaining. "It's not fair, mom. When do we get to start having an allowance?" "It's not fair" is right up there with "I'm bored" at the top of the list of things I hate hearing my kids say. "I'm bored" is actually number one on that list. Anyway, I was like, how do I go about setting up an allowance that is "fair"? And then, inspiration hit. At their school, they receive a daily conduct progress report. So I told them, for each "E" (excellent conduct) they will get one dollar. If they get an "S" or "P" then they don't get anything for that day. At the end of the week they show me their totals, and I pay up. So if one gets five dollars because she got "E" conduct all week, but the other two only get two dollars or three, I can't hear the hated "No fair!" - because they earn what they get. How do you set up your kids' allowance?

chavela_carlita

Asked by chavela_carlita at 3:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I would give my 4 month old an allowance if there is a day that he could go without pooping like 4-5 times. lol
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 3:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Funny you ask this because I was just thinking about if I should start giving my 7 year old an allowance. I have decided that I will not be forking out any money until he asks for an allowance. I will probably just have him do some chores around the house and pay per chore:)
    Anonymous

• we dont do allowance. Our kids basically get handed money when they need some or are going to do something. Our "giving" is based more on attitude, willingness to help out, grades etc.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• They don't get allowance. They do their chores because helping out with the house is part of being a family. When they whine about it I tell them I don't get paid to cook and do their laundry and clean up after them so they don't get paid either. Then again, they are only 8, 7 and 6 so they have no need for money and if they did get an allowance it would just go in the bank and they wouldn't be allowed to touch it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• When my children are older i will give them an allowance plus we put money into their trust funds untill they are old enough to access it themselfs.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 4:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2008