insurance through a company.

If you get on insurance through a company, will it cover my pregnancy if i already know i am pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• As in buying your own? Insurance codes vary from state to state but most likely not. You need to call about individual plans and find out.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 3:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• No, i mean through my husbands work. Not an individual plan. The answer from them was NO.
    Anonymous

• I would ask his HR, I know that if YOU are the one working and it's a new policy and you have proof of prior coverage than they have to cover it. With the beginning of the new year coming you may be able to get in under the new policy clause too, but again that still requires prior coverage. If you don't currently have insurance than most likely not, they will consider it a pre-existing condition. Good luck getting coverage!!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 3:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Most of the time they won't cover an existing pregnancy.
    PLUS you have to make sure that the plan covers maternity, a lot don't.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I am in the same boat, so if the anonymous poster wants to private message me, please do! I am not sure if I am pregnant but we are working on getting insurance and have been for a while and we keep getting rejected because of my husband's tinnitus (he has ringing in his ears from his two deployments to Iraq with the Marine Corps...) so if they reject over something as stupid as that, I'm probably going to not be able to have coverage for the pregnancy.... I don't know what to do :/
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 3:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I was covered - but I had proof of prior coverage with less then a 60 day lapse in coverage and on our plan they didn't consider pregnancy a pre-existing issue anyway. We're in Texas. I don't know if that's a state thing or clause in the policy they bought. Who said no? The insurance company or the HR people? You can find out who the coverage is through and what policy they have and call the company. That's what I did. My husband was getting on the Blue Cross PPO and I just called them and asked.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• NOPE!! I just went through a big debocle about this. NO insurance company will cover you (whether it is private, or through a company) if you are already pregnant. It is considered a "pre-existing condition". Even if you haven't been to the doctor yet, when the companies get statements, they will deny them because they will show you were already pregnant! It sucks! I'm pissed, but there is nothing we can do.
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2008