sippy cup at 6 months

The daycare my son goes to said we should start him on a sippy cup now, but I think it's too early for him, because he doesn't even hold his bottle on his own yet. They try giving it to him, but he won't drink it as much as the bottle. What do you think?

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think if he can't hold a bottle on his own yet then it is too soon for a sippy cup. I started my daughter on a sippy cup when she was 6 mos (thats what the dr recommended.. and she could hold a bottle, too) but it was kinda hard for her to adjust to it. I would tell them that you don't think he's ready yet and you would prefer not to let him have one until he can at least hold a bottle.
    daddysgrl718

Answer by daddysgrl718 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My son was on a sippy cup at 6 mnths, but he was holding his bottle! Once he starts holding his bottle you can buy a transition cup, the have tops sorta like bottles, but a little more advanced. You'll know when he's ready! It's great if you can get him to take it a little early, then you don't have the battle of losing the bottle, but to soon and he may reject it. Just work with him and go with your gut!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 4:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I started mine on a sippy cup at 5 mo. (She is 8 mo. now and still doesn't hold her own bottle..not because she can't...just because she prefers that I hold it). She didn't really get the hang of it for about a month or so though. The reason they suggest you start so early is because they still have a sucking reflex and are more apt for change early on. Introducing it later might be more difficult.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i tried to start my daughter on a sippy cup at about 7 mos. but she didnt get the concept, so i just waited a couple of months and tried again. but dont give up. try to get him used to holding his bottle first, then move on to the sippy. it will all work out.
    k10ann7

Answer by k10ann7 at 5:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2008