How can I get my toddler to fall asleep without a pacifier?

My son is almost 17 months. He has given it up during the day, but he has to suck on a pacifier to fall asleep.  I tried just taing it away but he cried in his crib for over almost 40 mins.  I don't want to make him do that.  I want to break him of the binky habit asap! Any advice appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Cry it out method! It is the hardest only the first 2 days and then after that it DOES get easier. My son is 15 months and he was the same way and now he doesn't use it at all. Try giving him something else to soothe himself to sleep like a favorite blanket or stuffed animal. We have a monkey that is a blanket and it replaced the pacifier.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 2:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• throw it in the garbage! My dd was the same way, but I just threw it away and put up with the fussiness. A week later she was fine!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• I agree with the other, you gotta just toss it and be done with it. It's not always easy but it's not as bad as you think and the fits won't last very long.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 2:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• That's what I was afraid of. I hate hearing him cry, it's torture. :( Next baby will have no pacifier at all! lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• It's not easy!

When my son was 18mo, I cut the nipple in 1/2 and told him it was broken. (That was after I searched the house and hid the rest, so he wouldn't have any to fall back on.) That first day he held onto the pacifier while he slept and the next day, I asked him if he'd like to throw it in the garbage. He did and we haven't looked back since.

I used to work at a day care and the older kids who still had pacifiers would pick out a baby in the baby room to "give" their old paci's to...
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• Have him throw them away and tell him "all gone". Then he just has to cry for a while. It really doesn't last that long and he should be fine.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• Cut a hole in the end of it and he won't want it anymore. That's what I did with my kids. If that doesn't work, throw it in the garbage. He'll be fine in a few days and he won't remember it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• At 17 months, I would just let him have it a while longer at night. He's still little! My 4th lost interest in his by himself at 20 months, and my oldest "lost" his one night at 2 but only cried the one night (I think because he was ready)

Answer by missanc at 4:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• Our dr told us to give our dd a little bendryl to help her fall asleep, we did this for three nights and she was fine...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• How well does she understand you? Is she talking at all? If she's at a point where she can understand stories and fairy tales , I would try the "paci/binky fairy" idea. Tell her that she is too old for the paci and that the paci fairy is collecting them for all the babies who need them. Have her help you gather up all the pacies, put them in a gift bag and leave the bag in a bush, tree, tie a balloon to the handles and let it go, or any other fun way you can think of to send them to the paci fairy. Get rid of them when they go to bed and in the morning, let them go check and they will have a thank you note and maybe a new toy from the paci fairy. It's easier on them than just tossing them out. However, if she's not old enough to understand this, you will have to just take it and deal with the crying for a few nights. It does get easier. My son used to have a bottle at bed time but he was fine after three days without it.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2011