Whats the easiest way to potty train a little girl?

I have tried taking her to the potty when I go, putting panties on her and letting her sit on the potty every 15 mins... but the end result is the same - she will sit down on the potty say "i pottied" (when she really didn't) then 5 mins later potty on herself and come up to me and say "I'm wet".... i'm gonna pull my hair out!!!

daddysgrl718

Asked by daddysgrl718 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I saw this question I immediately thought of my mom. She always says "All you have to do with a little girl is let them pick out the prettiest little panties they want and tell them if they get them dirty they can't have the pretty grown up panties anymore"
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 4:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Why not back off for a month? She obviously is not making the connection betweeen the "I've got to go feeling", the "I'm peeing right now" feeling, and the actual wetness. Until she is able to make that mental connection - at least one of them - you will keep pulling out your hair and setting her up for failure.
    Keep reading a potty training story book to her every couple days and keep inviting her to watch you potty - she can sit on her potty fully clothed while you go. Let her think the problem through for a little while before you try again. Just matter-of-factly put her in diapers and don't say anything about it. If she asks why she is back in diapers, just say that you are waiting until she is just a little bit older. Use a calm, nice tone of voice and move on.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My mom said she'd tried everything in the book with me. Eventually she bought a pair of silk panties and made me wear them. If I peed in them, the pee ran right through the panties and down my leg.

According to her, it only took about two weeks for me to realize that I needed to use the potty instead of peeing on myself, lol.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2008